Sunday, October 14, 2007

Not Mountain Biking

Obviously I’m devastated. Due to the likelihood of inclement weather and the fact that many of our number were not very well, our bike ride was cancelled. All I can say is that, as of this moment, I would much rather be sitting here in my nice warm house than struggling through the countryside while others much fitter than me purposefully cycled on ahead.

The text message to inform me of the lifting of the terror which has been hanging over my head for well over a week now came last night as a friend and I left the cinema after seeing Ratatouille. The film was OK and I felt for the rat as he juggled multiple jobs for many and varied bosses. Let us just say that I can relate all too well too the joy of multitasking with a wide variety of hats, although none of them, as yet, is that of a chef. I suppose however, that that might come one of those days.

Glasgow last night was filled with hundreds of kilted chaps and chapesses celebrating the result of some football match which apparently we had won. I had to ask because I just don’t have a clue about such things. I was accompanied on the train journey home by a vast number of fans – all very drunk but very happy nonetheless. As I sat down in my seat I put my foot in what I can only hope was tomato ketchup. On getting up to leave the train I slid in this gloop and sailed down the aisle to the bemusement of the befuddled supporters. It was only through sheer luck or perhaps my relative sobriety that I did not land on one of them. I suppose it might have made for a more interesting end to the evening.

I have only just switched my mobile phone back on. My theory being that if, by some strange twist of fate, the cycle ride was back on, I would not have known about it. I believe that there is talk of it being postponed to another date. You can be assured that on the appointed date, I will have a prior engagement.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet your quietly disappointed, really. I wonder if anyone took a sneaky snapshot with a mobile during your exit from the train.

Crystal xx

Omega Mum said...

Your devastation shines through with every word. Never mind - why don't you let me research some fun bike rides you could do on your own? And lycra can be an acquired taste, or so I've read.

Jon Peake said...

Just say no, Gwen. So much easier in the long run. I don't do anythng I don't want to do, and I find life is much more enjoyable that way.

muddyboots said...

what a shame about the bike ride, will you be looking forward to the next one then??

Valentine Suicide said...

I'm with 5C G. I rarely do anything I don't want. Obviously occasionally I'm told by the Mrs I HAVE to do something I don't want to..

How about aquatic sports? I know where there's some fast flowing water, and I know a man with a vehicle to traverse it.

Interested?

Kolley Kibber said...

Careful, Gwen - VS has a new obsession.

Valentine Suicide said...

No need to THAT careful Gwen. I DID have a new obsession, but after the arrest I took up kayaking.

Anonymous said...

If you do get another text advising you that the bike ride is back on, you could always say you didn't get it. I use that excuse quite a lot when avoiding mums from nursery and their coffee mornings/bring and buy sales/lunches....the satellites/aerials (I don't know how mobiles work) in my area are really quite unreliable y'know.

Gwen said...

Oh So disappointed Crystal. Now sneaky snapshots would be interesting.

What an excellent idea Omega Mum. I can picture that Lycra now.

I'm trying to practice the N word FC I really am.

With bated breath Muddy Boots - or should that be short of breath?

Sounds very interesting VS. Maybe I can incorporate Omega Mum's Lycra idea?

What an excellent idea Nunhead Mum.