Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Fresh Faces and Sticky Paws

Sometimes I just love the synchronicity. I’m working at the moment with two quite different groups of girls within our Youth Group, I’m doing Cookery and, oh joy, they both want to do something involving chicken. This makes my job very much easier when negotiating the aisles at Asda. If these girls had any inkling whatsoever that they had caused my life to be made easier they would at once have changed their minds so I won’t be letting on any time soon.

I have been working in and around Youth Groups since I officially ended my tenure as a youth myself. In my local community there has always been a strong emphasis on promoting activities for teenagers so the natural progression for me was to work as a youth group leader as soon as I was old enough. I have put on plays with youth drama groups, made the most delicious messes in numerous kitchens, eaten myself silly at sleepovers and taken trips to places like Alton Towers. How else could an adult do these things without fear of ridicule.

Of course this is not the only reason that I do it. There are of course some people who would beg to differ but I feel that it is vitally important to support and help the youth of any community. Kids these days (as at any time) face enormous challenges, whether it be something such as their best friend falling out with them or problems with parents. To have someone other than a parent or a teacher who they feel that they can talk to or who simply takes an interest in them can make all the difference.

I admit that sometimes all the good feelings can be forgotten when you have a group of 20 screaming teenagers in a room who cannot master the correct dance moves for the show taking place next week. However the mere fact that they come back week after week gives me some confidence that we must be doing something right and that one day they may look back and admit that they had fun.

And that, my friends, is a brief resume of the life of a Youth Group Worker. If you have any specific questions, please ask and I will do my best to answer them. I think as a last word I would add that, if nothing else, it keeps you young.


P.S. Apologies for the lack of regular blogging in these parts. I am now working for my current boss, my previous boss and doing quite a bit of preparation work for the youth group. It makes life interesting but time melt away. I will try and keep up the blogging but it may be a little less frequent for a while.

10 comments:

Valentine Suicide said...

Very Honourable Gwen, and sounds like you have a lot of fun.

Welcome back. I wondered where you'd gone. I though you may have been kidnapped by Dr 'You Know Who' and 'Them'.

Omega Mum said...

Good for you, Gwen. Am deeply impressed. Also riveted. And what's all this 'working for previous boss' stuff? Isn't that the pigface who made you redundant?

Pepette said...

Hi Gwen,
We've been missing you, but it looks like you're having your hands full at the moment! Enjoy it all and looking forward to your return when things calm down a bit!

Anonymous said...

Gwen, it doesn't matter how little or how often you blog, I for one always enjoy reading what you have written.

You obviously have a lot more patience than me!

Crystal xx

Jon Peake said...

Rather you than me, Gwen. You're a good woman.

Kolley Kibber said...

I think you're doing a wonderful, worthwhile thing, Gwen, and helping these young people negotiate the 'rapids' of young adulthood ultimately benefits society as a whole.

I love the time I spent attached to a school as their Psychologist; the students were fascinating, engaging, maddening and hilarious in equal measures. Most of the time they just needed a damn good listening to.

They're lucky to have you, Gwen.

Squirmy Popple said...

I think it's great that you're working with kids. I used to be a volunteer tutor/youth worker for underprivileged kids when I was in college, but I haven't done it in a few years.

I wonder if Scottish kids are easier or harder to work with than American kids?

auntiegwen said...

I'm really glad that I'm not the only one who enjoys teenagers. They're lucky to have you

auntiegwen xx

Gwen said...

Thanks VS. Being kidnapped by Dr 'You Know Who' and 'Them' would have been more exciting I reckon.

Sadly Omega Mum - yes it is the very one. There's probably a blog post in there too - one day probably.

Thanks Pepette. It's nice to be here - even if only for shorter periods at the moment.

Thanks Crystal. People say I'm patient but I sometimes don't feel that way.

Thanks Five Centres, ISBW and Auntie Gwen

I wonder too Katie. Never having had experience of American kids I can't be sure but it would be interesting to find out.

Iota said...

Glad to read this - I think the work sounds fun, but only to someone with energy, patience, sense of humour, etc etc.

Look forward to reading more teenage antics.