Saturday, September 22, 2007

Bananas, Bats and Boats

Perhaps it was a last ditch attempt to make up for the rotten summer. Whatever the reason, despite being encircled by a number of threatening clouds, the sun shone all day today. Why the sun couldn’t have fought off the advances of the clouds any other day this summer is quite beyond me but there you have it. The glorious sunshine and a slight wind made it a perfect day for a walk.

The walking group had decided to drive up to Balmaha and walk round a part of Loch Lomond (also a part of the West Highland Way.) It would be a gross understatement to say that the scenery is magnificent. When the sun sends brilliant rays of white light through the water and that water is surrounded by lush woodland which draws the eye up dramatic mountainsides, the sight is awe inspiring and nothing less. I do hope that you will permit me a little bias here, but I truly believe that Scotland is one of the most beautiful countries in the world – especially when the sun is shining.

We set off along the waters edge where little yachts with brown sails were already starting their passages across the loch. We pondered on the reason for the brown sails, could find none, and moved on. We passed some fishermen on the hunt for trout and salmon and watched with some disgust as they scooped out their worms which wriggled and crawled all over their grimy hands. On entering the woods we heard strange shouts which we variously attributed to the spirits of the forests or neds having a drinking session. It was then that we spied the three jogging bananas.

I have seen many strange sights but none quite as strange as three grown men dressed in banana suits approaching along a forest track. It turned out that they were running for charity. Quite why running for charity justifies the wearing of a banana suit I will never know, but it made our walk that bit more interesting I can tell you.

At one point the woodland path had become so eroded that we had to continue our walk on the beach. Bemused families making sandcastles with their children watched as we strode past them in walking boots with rucksacks on our backs.

Do you ever wake up in the middle of the night, thinking that it is time to get up? It would appear that bats are just as susceptible to body clock dysfunction as we can be. Just as we were nearing the end of our walk we noticed what looked like either large moths or small birds darting over the path. On realising that they were bats and it was daylight; we can only assume that they had been rudely awakened from their slumber – perhaps by the banana joggers although we will never know.

At the end of our walk we did the sensible thing and repaired to the pub for a well deserved rest after all the strenuous exercise we had just undertaken. However, when working out just how hard and strenuous that exercise had been we discovered that we had been walking an average of 1.5 miles an hour. So not that strenuous then? Perhaps not, but just the kind of walking group that I am quite happy to remain a member of.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

"especially when the sun is shining" - proportionally then you could probably say that Scotland's one of the least beautiful places ;-)

Just kidding, I'd definitely agree it's one of the best.

Omega Mum said...

They were obviously banana wearing perves who needed a reason to go out in public. Looking forward to more about your work with teenagers.

Gwen said...

Hi John.

Hope you enjoyed the honeymoon. I take you point about the lack of sun but it is still beautiful!!!

Indeed I think that they may have been Omega Mum. I will write something about the teenagers soon.

Anonymous said...

I think charity work prompts us to do incredibly out of the ordinary things!

I totally agree with you about Scotland. There is some amazing scenery and wildlife.

Crystal xx

Valentine Suicide said...

Don't talk to me about bats...

auntiegwen said...

I also was in Balmaha recently and I love the scenery there too.

Incidentally,I once saw a woman dressed in a green bodysuit with her face and hair painted completely green in a chip shop in Stockbridge and not one person batted an eyelid, not one

auntiegwen xx

muddyboots said...

my god, running bananas! what is the countryside turning into?

Squirmy Popple said...

Loch Lomond is particularly lovely in the sunshine, but it's nice on overcast days as well.

I love the Scottish countryside.

Nunhead Mum of One said...

Walking groups that take in local hostelries are my kind of walking groups!

Gari said...

When the sun shines here, I remember why I live here. And it's incredible, weeks of hellish rain may fall, but as soon as the skies clear, and the sun comes out, suddenly all is right with the world. Round Balmaha, and Loch Lomond in general, it can be so beautiful... apart from the bats, they can be a bit erratic and scary.

Gwen said...

Well Crystal and Muddy Boots some crazy things are certainly done in the name of charity.

VS - I was thinking about your bat experience when I saw them.

AuntieGwen - somehow that doesn't surprise me.

Katie I'm glad you love the scenery - expecially on overcast days as we seem to get more of them.

The hostelries are the best bit Nunhead Mum.

I didn't know that Balmaha was well known for bats Gari and they really were quite erratic and scary I can tell you.