Friday, September 14, 2007

Saved by the Hail

For once it would appear that the vagaries of British weather will save me tomorrow from the agony of physical exertion. It had been suggested by friends much fitter than I that tomorrow we would go cycling. For fit people this might consist of a jolly day freewheeling up hill and down dale, but for me it would tend to offer the prospect of hoisting myself in a rather ungainly manner into the saddle and puffing and panting up steep hills with every muscle in my body protesting at my lack of training. When I looked at the weather forecast in the middle of the week it showed glorious sunshine for Saturday, making my heart sink every so slightly and my muscles tremble in fearful anticipation. Everything however changed today. As so often happens, despite the fact that we are at present bathed in glorious sunshine, the forecast for tomorrow has changed from a sunshine symbol to one depicting a cloud and three drops of rain. There will of course be many more than three drops of rain but there is only so much space available on a weather symbol.

In the event of rain, Plan B will be put into operation. I have to admit that Plan B has not actually been planned but here’s hoping that it will involve as little physical activity as possible.

I will keep you posted.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plan B sounds like my kind of plan. Have a great day whatever you decide to do.

Crystal xx

Gwen said...

Thanks Crystal. Plan B without any exertion would be my kind of day too.

Valentine Suicide said...

Why not exert yourself with a nice walk to the pub? There's your Plan B mate!

Gwen said...

What an excellent idea VS. Followed by a stagger home. Sounds like an excellent Plan B.

Omega Mum said...

Just for the record, tell me - did you get the traditional rainstorm or did three giant drops of water plonk, one by one, on major conurbations in your area, wreaking havoc?

Squirmy Popple said...

The weather on Saturday wasn't actually that bad, but today was awful. Why does it always wait until the weekend to rain?

Anonymous said...

Hoping it rained for you. There's nothing fun about cycling. Nothing at all. This is from someone who was forced to cycle by cycling friends and ended up flying over the front of the handle bars and scrathing more than her face.

Gwen said...

Well Omega Mum, I would have to admit that for most of the day there were only a few spots of rain, but as you say, its surprising how much of an effect those few drops can have!

Sunday was pretty awful Katie. It does seem to be worse at weekends - not fair I say.

Hi Georgie - yes it rained enough for us not to have to cycle. Your experiences would put anyone off for life.