Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Plan B

As a result of the rain on Saturday it was with regret (who am I trying to kid) that Plan B was put into operation. Perhaps Plan B should have concerned itself with maintaining the commitment to some sort of fitness but sadly it did not. In fact we ended up with “A Play, A Pie and a Pint”.

The aforementioned Play, Pie and Pint is an excellent idea offered by Oran Mor on the corner of Byers Road and Great Western Road in Glasgow. It does what it says on the tin and for £10.00 of your British Money you get a drink, a pie (it literally is just a small pie on a small plate, but we managed to get two of them each) and a play.

The play in question concerned your average female with two men in her lives; a cross dresser and a chap with a drink and anger management problem. Of course she chose the cross dresser over the charming other fellow (well you would wouldn’t you?).

After the play and after rescuing my very badly parked (ie abandoned) car we decided to have a wander along Byers Road.

There are a number of very good second hand shops in Byers Road and taking me anywhere near them is a very bad idea indeed, for my friends in any case. At a good 50 paces I can already smell the gloriously musty books, authentic vintage clothing and other assorted nick nacks. By the time I’m in the door I’m drooling and counting my available cash. And that cash was spent liberally in a fair selection of Aladdin’s Caves full of bright colours, interesting smells and mystery. Well, they were “bargains” after all.

We ended our day in Thornton’s where we shamelessly ate ice cream despite the fact that it was pouring with freezing rain and summer had given up trying to perform its intended task and gone home.

So that was our day out in the name of Plan B. A pretty good Plan B by my reckoning. I’m supposed to be going on a hike on Saturday, so, if it’s raining I’ll meet you in Byres Road for Plan B – The Sequel.

14 comments:

Squirmy Popple said...

I love the second hand shops over on Byres Road and Dumbarton Road. I recently purchased a cute hoodie in one of those shops for 50p.

Gwen said...

A hoodie? What will you do with the poor fellow when you get him home? Yopu could hug him but he might have an ASBO.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on succeeding with Plan B. Hope you didn't get indigestion.

Crystal xx

Gwen said...

Not at all Crystal. It was a lovely day.

Pepette said...

That's definetely one of the best plan Bs I've heard of in ages!

I miss Byres Road so much now that I don't live down that neck of the wood anymore...

Gwen said...

Hi Pepette. It certainly was good. I can quite understand your missing Byers Road. I hope you get to visit again soon.

Valentine Suicide said...

That play sounds a bit iffy G. Was it any good? And were your bargains still bargains when you got them home?

auntiegwen said...

Oh, I'm so jealous, I love Byres Road. I went to Nursing College just behind the Western Infirmary and spent many, many happy years trying to drink from one end to the other. Now they've even got Starbucks !!! how good is that ?

Next time you're going, can I come too ?

auntiegwen xx

Gwen said...

Well yes VS, the play was certainly a rather interesting experience. As for bargains, they are of course never quite the same once home.

Hi Gwen. Byers Road is excellent. You can certainly come along next time.

Jon Peake said...

I loooooove a good junk shop. And a good pie.

muddyboots said...

ice cream on a wet day. nice one!

Gwen said...

You and me both Five Centres.

A bit like Sunshine on a Rainy Day I think Muddy Boots. A lot of fun.

Anonymous said...

Byres Roads rocks. I used to live near there and miss it loads.

Gwen said...

It certainly does Cerusboy. It's a fantastic place.