Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Do Teenagers Ever Sleep?

It was my pleasant duty at the weekend to accompany 38 teenagers to Alton Towers. We left at 3 in the morning and returned at 12 Midnight the same day (but only just!) and not once did several of them actually sleep. Where do they get their energy? They just kept going and going.

We may have been a formidable sight on entering Alton Towers. Two of the boys wore kilts and most of the others had painted Scottish Saltires on their faces. Be afraid, be very afraid.

I have to admit that I am an absolute wuss and the closest I got to going on a ride was going on the cable car from one end of the park to the other just so I could say that I had been on a ride (of sorts) at Alton Towers.

I did however conquer my fear of Oblivion. Oh yes; I managed to stand beside it as squealing adults and teens hurtled to their doom. That was scary enough so there was no way I was actually going on the thing itself.

Myself and the other leaders spent the day on a restaurant crawl and it’s best that I don’t think of the calories I must have consumed on the day. Perhaps calories don’t count on crossing the Scottish Border. It would be nice to think so.

The homeward journey again echoed that of the outward one, with 38 teenagers all screaming and shouting when they should have been sleeping. Someone had won a giant red dinosaur and the bus driver was none too happy at midnight when all the stuffing came out and went all over his bus. The dinosaur was last seen adorning our village roundabout.

It was on getting home that I got my first real fright of the day. I was confronted by a massive spider. It was so big that, had I managed to catch it, I could have kept it as a pet. I chased it round the room to no avail. I was only going to safely catch it in my spider catcher and deposit it out of the window but I assume that it thought that I was about to mercilessly kill it. It shot round the room and eventually found sanctuary underneath my bookcase. I decided to leave it there as I knew that the only way in which it would prove lethal to me was if I tried to move the bookcase, with the result that it came crashing down on top of me.

I finally collapsed into bed sometime after midnight and was dead to the world for more hours than would normally be necessary. As for the spider, I’m sure it is still crawling about the house somewhere waiting to pop out when I least expect it.

8 comments:

Squirmy Popple said...

Oh teenagers - they're like a different species. I can't believe that I was one not that many years ago.

Gwen said...

Neither can I Katie. How quickly we forget - but I think that there are numerous very good reasons for wanting to forget those days.

Anonymous said...

Not spiders! I couldn't have slept in the house at all. I've never been to Alton Towers because I hate all those rides (and can't go on them anyway with my epilepsy). Sounds like the teenagers had a ball though. And you had a feast!

Crystal xx

Omega Mum said...

Gwen - what on earth do you do for a living? You're either an incredibly courageous volunteer, a much-loved multiple godmother or a social worker. Or are you actually only 16 yourself but masquerading as somebody much older just for fun?

Jon Peake said...

I loooooooove theme parks, and unshamedly scream like a girl on all rollercoasters and rides. But 38 teenagers - rather you than me.

Kelly Innes said...

You have an award.
http://domesticgoddesque.blogspot.com/2007/09/i-am-nice.html

Gwen said...

Hi Crystal - yes the teenages had fun and we did eat rather a lot - just the way I like it.

Hi Omega Mum. I am actually a PA but for my sins I also do a bit of voluntary work with local youth groups. Sometimes it can be quite tiring but it is also quite rewarding and can make for a few good stories!

You are a braver person than me Five Centres. I once was persuaded to go on a ride in France and screamed all the way. Everyone just stared at me and then probably said something like "Oh she's British - that explains everything!"

Thanks Kelly - I will be right over.

teen said...

I love being a teen . It's great!