Sunday, November 11, 2007

56 Things About Me

I had already written a blog for this week but the lovely Kelly has tagged me to write about 56 things about me. To be honest this seemed much more fun, so how could I refuse:-

8 things I'm passionate about:
1. My family. There’s not a lot of us so there’s more passion to go around.
2. All things Scottish. Honestly how could you not be.
3. Reading – Anything and everything, whether I understand it or not.
4. The weather. A warm sunny day (rare though they are) can lift your spirits and make the world seem a better place.
5. Cooking. I just love eating so why not?
6. Singing. I constantly sing very loudly all around the house. My next door neighbours recently moved out. Mmm I wonder why.
7. My friends. A regular friendship fix whether over the phone or over a meal or a drink is tremendously important.
8. Youth Work as I’ve said before.

8 things to do before I die:
1. Find a wonderful caring man to be with for the rest of my life. I can but hope.
2. See a bit more of the world. I should really have set foot on every continent but so far I’ve only seen Europe with a tiny toe dip in North Africa. I must get out more.
3. Own a chic city apartment and a country pile. (Again I can but hope).
4. Return to horse riding which I haven’t done since I was 16.
5. Plant a tree in honour of someone. I’m not sure who yet but it feels like it should be done.
6. Learn to say “No”. I must harden my heart the next time someone comes to me with sorrowful eyes asking for help which I just do not have the time to give them.
7. Despite the above, learn to be more tolerant and caring. This is sometimes hard when dealing with a bunch of teenagers but I must try to remember that their view of the world is different to mine.
8. Learn how to make the perfect loaf of bread.

8 things I often say:
1. I lie on a regular basis – ie – “No really the cake you made is delicious”
And
2. “I’m sorry my boss didn’t call you back. No, it’s not that he didn’t want to talk to you, it’s just that he had to go into an urgent meeting and it will probably not finish now until the end of the day.”
3. “Yes, no problem. When do you need it done by?” Please see item 6 above.
4. “Have you seen the weather forecast for today?” I am a little obsessed.
5. “I’m sure that these recipes off the internet are fine to use”.
Followed by
6. “I haven’t a clue why it didn’t work out.”
7. “Good Morning” at work when it is really the afternoon and vice versa.
8. “Let me spell that for you”. I have a rather complicated second name which no one ever spells right.

8 books I've read recently:
1. The Big Sleep – Raymond Chandler – A whole lot of fun but a bit confusing at times.
2. The Amateur Marriage – Anne Tyler – Sad but very true.
3. Enduring Love – Ian McEwan – A fantastic build up of tension.
4. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay – Michael Chabon – I absolutely loved this book and the wonderful characters although it did take me 7 weeks to read!
5. Happiness – Will Ferguson – Very funny and thought provoking.
6. Wonder Boys – Michael Chabon – Probably the funniest fiction book I have read in a long time.
7. Absolute Friends – John Le Carre. Again, I enjoyed this but struggled to follow all that was going on.
8. Tales of the City – Armistead Maupin. A bit of harmless fun.

I am slightly worried by the preponderance of American authors here. Pass me another John Le Carre will you.

8 songs I could listen to over and over:
1. Super Trouper - Abba – OK Glasgow comes into it but I would still love it anyway. This is by far and away my most favourite Abba track and to be honest I love them all.
2. Moonlight Shadow – Mike Oldfield. I know – weird and depressing but I love it.
3. One Night in Bangkok – Michael Head (From Chess). Again I can’t explain why but I still remember the moment my friend introduced me to this song in a small draughty study bedroom and it just blew me away.
4. Anything on the eponymous, hugely underrated album by a band called Silversun back in 1997. Whatever happened to them?
5. Ditto the above for a band called The Blessing from 1991.
4. Long Train Runnin’ – The Doobie Brothers
5. Goddess on a Hiway – Mercury Rev – I used to be able to play this on the guitar.
6. Orinoco Flow – Enya
7. Nkosi Sikele
8. Cannonball – the Breeders – I mean really how good???

8 qualities I look for in a best friend:
1. A sense of humour and a willingness to appreciate mine!
2. The ability to remain close even when we haven’t seen each other for weeks.
3. The ability to see the good in people
4. Optimism
5. The offering of encouragement when needed.
6. Patience
7. Someone who always returns things lent to them and in the same condition in which they were first lent.
8. Someone who respects you and all your quirky idiosyncrasies without a bad word.

Well that was fun. However I’m not going to pass this on to anyone in particular but if anyone is interested in taking up the challenge please do and I will enjoy reading about you.

11 comments:

Gari said...

I'm still not entirely sure that ABBA are singing about Glasgow after all these years. But then again, I'm not aware of a city called Glass Cow either. Did I ever bore you stupid with my kilt making tale regarding Armistead Maupin? It's one of my only real claims to fame.

Gwen said...

It was Glasgow Gari - I'm telling you.

Please tell me your Armistead Maupin kilt story. If you don't I'll hassle you for it on your own blog!!

Kolley Kibber said...

I'm delighted to hear that you sing loudly all the time, Gwen ( even if your neighbours aren't). i've been known to belt out 'Long Train Runnin' at top volume in my time, too. It's an instant mood-elevator as far as I'm concerned!

Lovely list of Gwen-facts.

Kelly Innes said...

Absolutel brilliant....I know so much more about you than I did before. Is your surname Greek, or Russian maybe- I picture you in a fur hat!!!

auntiegwen said...

Aawh, me likey

xx

Anonymous said...

Interesting list - agree about Kavelier and Clay. What's the Glasgow/Abba connection though? And do you think we'll beat Italy on Saturday?

Anonymous said...

Loved your answers. I've been tagged a few times with this one so will be bashing something out in the next few days.

Crystal xx

Gari said...

What's tagging?
Seriously, what is it?

Thank you kindly for the directions, I shall let you know how I get on. And I promise to post the whole Maupin tale later in the week. It's not very exciting, but it involves kilts.

Gwen said...

Thanks ISBW. I'm glad to find a fellow singer around the house.

Sadly Kelly my surname isn't as exotic of Greek or Russian. It's Scottish but unusual so people usually spell it wrongly. I have got a couple of nice fur hats though.

Thanks Auntie Gwen. Glad you liked them.

Glad you also liked K&C Cerusboy. On Abba the lyrics are:-

"I was sick and tired of everything
When I called you last night from Glasgow"

Amongst others. So there is a mention of Glasgow - honest.

Thanks Crystal. Looking froward to your list.

Hi Gari. Tagging is just when someone writes about a theme and then tags you to write about the same thing. I suppose it's a bit like being tagged at school but without the bloody knees and noses.

I'm looking forward to the Maupin Tale.

Gari said...

Righty ho, before I head off to the bright lights of Glasgow on Sunday.
For the last 17 years, I have worked in various Menswear stores. I generally did a lot of tailoringy things and kilts were a big part of the job. Well, in the Scottish shops anyway. Last year, whilst working in a small independent store, now closed, 2 American gentlemen came in late one Friday afternoon. The older of the 2 was chatting away and mentioned replacing his old kilt. As you do, I asked if his surname was Scottish or connected to any Scottish clans. After a bit more of a chat, he said his own name probably wasn't that Scottish, as it was Maupin. Oh says, I, like Armistead Maupin? He looked a wee bit embarrased and said, "well, actually, exactly like Armistead Maupin, I am..." Upshot of this, after a couple of other visits and blethers, he bought 2 kilts, and his partner bought one too. Proper kilts mind, Proper hand sewn, 8-9 yard ones. He was very funny, and charming, and quite candid. Right, I'm off to pack my case and prepare for a fortnight living in a Glasgow hotel.

Gwen said...

What a fantastic story Gari. I'm glad to see that he takes an interest in all things Scottish and that he bought proper high quality kilts. Have a lovely week in Glasgow. I hope the hotel is nice.