Monday, August 13, 2007

Too Much Champagne

Most of my friends are married. I attended the wedding of one of the last of our little group of old school chums at the weekend. She walked down the aisle, a vision in sparkling tulle to “The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba”. It seems to be a pretty popular choice for brides these days and I suppose that the Kaiser Chiefs might not go down so well with the grannies.

The bride herself was, of course, late. Brides are meant to be late but this one has never been early for anything so she was very very late. Her mum called across the church to reassure the grooms’ parents that she was on her way, although they didn’t appear to be too concerned. It turned out that her dress had come adrift and her dad had had to take a needle and thread to it and sew her back in. It was a bit of a revelation to us (and perhaps him) that he was so nifty with a needle and thread.

Weddings always make me cry. This has got nothing to do with still being single (honest!) but more to do with the overall emotion of the whole thing. So of course we were midway through the first hymn when little droplets of water started in the corners of my eyes, quickly becoming rivulets and then small floods. My attempts to stem the flow were watched avidly by one of the bridesmaids. A look of extreme puzzlement crept over her six year old face and continued for the rest of the evening whenever she saw me. I may have put one small child off ever getting married. I do hope not.

Later on in the evening another single friend got very drunk (well I’m assuming that that was the reason) and made me make a pact with her that if we were both single at 40, we would each buy a cat, move in together and embrace a life of eternal spinsterhood. I reminded her that 40 was not such a long way away for either of us (although I will be getting their first) and tried to dissuade her from any such foolish notions. Sadly she was not for having it. I just hope that she was drunk and forgets because it is not a pact that I have any intention of following through on although cats are quite pleasant creatures…..

I thought that weddings were supposed to be joyous occasions. Granted, most of the guests appeared to have permagrins on the whole time but one chap was in quite a maudlin mood.

“Well” he said “That’s most of the weddings out of the way, so the next time you (myself and my old school friends) see each other again it will be at a funeral.”

“Thanks a lot” I almost spat “I think it will be quite a while before there will be any funerals involving any of us”. I mean, honestly, we are only in our 30’s. What a terrible thing to say and especially at a wedding. I will just have to assume that it was a spectacularly bad attempt at humour or that, again, drink was involved.

Speaking of drink, I had hoped to speak to a former primary school teacher of mine, but unfortunately she had one glass of champagne which proved a bit too much for her and she spent the rest of the night recovering in her hotel room.

She’s not the only one who has a problem with holding her drink. I myself just can’t seem to drink as much as I used to be able to do. I was hoping to hit that just slightly nice, woozy feeling but after one glass of champagne and half a glass of wine the only thing I was feeling was queasy. I drank a glass of water to stop any potential hangovers in the morning and gave up the alcohol as a bad job. Gone are my wild drinking days it would seem.

And then it was all over. The bride and groom slipped off into the night, the dancers kept on dancing and I headed off home to recuperate and prepare myself for another wedding which I will be going to in a fortnight. Perhaps I should work on my drinking technique between then and now.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your male friend's funeral comment made me laugh out loud...

Gwen said...

Thanks Maggie. I suppose I can see the funny side in a way, but it has taken some time to get there.

Gari said...

Drinking tip no.1, stay away from Champagne. Gets you drunk to soon, stonking headache, and makes your breath a bit whiffy.

On a slightly maudlin note, 8 years ago we had our "we're all 30 now" school reunion. 5 had already passed on. That fair gives you a shake.
Blimey, I know how to lift the mood don't I!

auntiegwen said...

Aawh sweetie, as a singleton at the grand old age of 40 feckin 1, I can assure you, it's not that bad, honest !!!

Jon Peake said...

Champagne's an absolute killer. I've had the worst hangovers with it.

I reckon this time next year, you'll be the one about to walk up the aisle Gwen. I can see the future.

Kolley Kibber said...

I am now in a position to be looking back at the 30-something weddings my friends and I attended.... at the time, many of the blokes were talking about their rededing hairlines and vasectomies.

At the 40-something weddings I now sometimes attend, the blokes are talking about the easiest way to get both reversed.

Is this universal, I wonder?

Kelly Innes said...

Champagne can never be consumed too often. least of all at a wedding where you invariably get stuck talking to some lecherous old crusty.....

Squirmy Popple said...

I'm going to a wedding to a few weeks an am very excited. After all, I get to dress up and drink with my friends - what's not to love?

Gwen said...

You certainly do know how to lift the mood Gari. You should get together with my maudlin pal. Seriously though that is pretty sad and scary. Far too young to have passed on.

Thanks Gwen (another one!!) You do make me feel better. Please do visit again.

I hope you are right Five Centres. However at the moment I don't seem to know any appropriate men to do it with.

I rather think that it might be universal ISBW. I will wait another five or so years and then see if the same can be said for my pals.

I think I managed to avoid any of those at this wedding Kelly, however I have been less lucky at other weddings.

Enjoy your wedding Katie (well not yours but you know what I mean). You are right dressing up and drinking is a very important part of the fun.

Valentine Suicide said...

Your friends weddings are ok, but does anyone actually enjoy those wedding receptions of someone your partner knows slightly. I have a whole repertoire of 'reasons to leave early'.

Also G, I'm 41 and 'technically unmarried'. So you've got plenty of time

Omega Mum said...

You didn't sign anything legally binding with this woman, did you? Don't worry about the cats - honestly, they're the least of your problems. Agree to what she's suggesting and you'll probably find you've signed away half your estate to her.....

Gwen said...

I know what you mean VS. It can be awful when you go to a reception and literally know no one. It has happened to me a few times and it's not much fun. Everyone knows everyone else and you just haven't got any conversation to throw in. Definitely a good excuse to leave early.

I suppose I have got plenty of time but I think I would be less worried if I at least had a partner such as a male version of Mme. She doesn't have a single brother..........

I hope I didn't sign anything legally binding Omega Mum. I sincerely hope not. Mind you if I have signed away half my wordly possessions, she will be dissapointed as there aren't many of them to be had.

Andrew Collins said...

Can I just state, for the record, that's it possible to be married and have cats. I've even met people who are married with children who have cats! Cats do not necessarily have to denote loneliness.

Gwen said...

Thanks Andrew. Marriage, Cats and Children too. Maybe that means that there is still hope for me yet!