Monday, June 11, 2007

Sunshine on Leith

As you may be aware, my usual attitude to the weather in this part of the world is one of healthy despair. However Saturday was somewhat of a revelation. The sun not only peeped through a chink in the clouds, it positively told the clouds to take a long walk over a short cliff, which, for once they did and a glorious sunny day was the result. And what a result. Sandals, t-shirts and shorts were fished from the bottom of drawers and faces metamorphosed from frozen wet misery into radiant sun-kissed happiness. Actually the sun-kissed may have been the result of a few too many tanning sessions, but we’ll let that lie.

Somewhat appropriately I went to see Sunshine on Leith in Glasgow. Taking previously written songs by The Proclaimers and moulding a musical around them might seem like a challenge, but themes of love, loss, separation and heartache run through musicals and popular music in such equal measure as to minimise that challenge considerably.

The storyline involves three couples who variously fall in and out of love, surrounded by a supporting cast who help them through the pain by singing an appropriate Proclaimers song to them, further enhanced by a quirky dance routine. Having watched a fair number of musicals, this form of “Musical/Dance Therapy” seems, by the time the curtain falls, to be an effective emotional problem solving strategy. I’m sure that Psychotherapists the world over are taking note.

I did take some issue with one central character being actively dissuaded from following her dreams of going to America, a move which by the final scene offered apologetic undertones which did not sit easily with me.

To add to this, my viewing experience was somewhat curtailed by a thicket of acutely angled hair sitting in front of me. Further interruptions ensued when, over the course of the evening, an inordinate amount of people felt the need to excuse themselves causing us to spend a good deal of the time bobbing up and down in our seats like demented penguins.

All in all however, because I don’t want to end on too negative a note, a good night out was had by all. Well, the weather was nice and we could all use a few Proclaimers songs to cheer us up.

* * *

This morning, on coming into work, I have just heard the worst possible news. Apparently the weather is to get progressively worse over the rest of the week, culminating in a disastrous 11 degrees and rain by Friday. I am quite distraught. What did I say about ending on a negative note?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be nice if we could control the weather to our liking. Rain when we need to water the fields and sunshine to smile. Maybe top up the tan in the bargain. Hope you have a nice day! Crystal x

Gwen said...

Hi Crystal. My day is turning out fine despite the rotten weather predictions. Controlling the weather would be wonderful. Maybe one day someone will find a way...

Unknown said...

I think we're meant to be grateful that the weather was actually nice on a weekend for once - especially after the washout that was Bank Holiday weekend.
However, I'm getting impatient now for a proper summer to come and cheer everybody up! Maybe we're not due one this year! Or, worse, maybe we just had it!
The show sounds great by the way. (Even if I have just started humming 500 miles)

Gwen said...

I'm with you Funky Munky - bring on that summer we're supposed to be having. The show was good, and I've had Sunshine on Leith in my head all day!

Omega Mum said...

I think having somebody singing me through my problems would be OK unless I was at end of tether with child related things, in which case might just want to give them a smack.

Squirmy Popple said...

I just checked the weather - it still says that it's going to rain, but it's supposed to get up to 15 degrees.

In Scotland, it seems that we always pay for a spell of good weather with a long period of cold, wet weather.

Cursed Tea said...

hey Gwen
You want to swap? Today is supposed to be 37 degrees Celcius - and humid humid humid!!!

Everything goes reeeeeaaaaaallllly slooooooooooooowwwwwly in the south in the summer because you sweat standing still!!! I am day dreaming about dreich scottish windy weather....

Moving here from Scotland has made me realise it IS possible to have too much of a good thing (hot weather and sunshine!!)

Stay warm
Kirst

Valentine Suicide said...

Doesn't seem like a glowing recommendation Gwen? Glad you had a good time though..

As for the weather, as long as you can retain that healthy blue scottish tan, you're ahead of the game...

Gwen said...

I have a feeling, Omega Mum, that there may be many an occastion where you may feel like giving them a smack, but it may also work on some other occasions.

Thanks Katie - 15 Degrees is a lot better than 11 Degrees. I feel a little better now it has to be said.

I would have to be honest Kirsty and say that I'm not sure that I could cope with 37 degrees and humid. I think I would just lie down and refuse to work. That sort of climate must take some getting used to.

I think the problem was Valentine that I had very high expectations of this show which is never a good thing, so it didn't quite live up to them. It was OK though and a pleasant way to spend an evening.

I think that a blue tan would be a fair approximation. Sadly I have no sub-saharan African blood in my veins.

The Good Woman said...

I saw the show on Friday and really enjoyed it. But then I'm a sucker for the Proclaimers (and have been since long before Peter Kay got hold of them). Particularly enjoyed 'Jean'.

Gwen said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it Good Woman. The songs are good because they are pretty upbeat but they also make you think. "Jean" was good, and the routine round it was also good which I think added to it.