Thursday, June 14, 2007

Teenagers with Attitude?

On the basis that I can fit into a minibus with an inordinate amount of hair straighteners, iPods and make up I am away this weekend to camp with a group of 20 odd teenagers. I will be taking a couple of good books with me (Michael Chabon – Kavalier & Clay and John Le Carre – Absolute Friends) for reasons of sanity maintenance.

The last time they saw me they thought that they would “introduce me” to the joys of modern music, so were a little surprised when I said that I had actually already heard of Maroon 5. I personally think that Maroon 5 is a bit tame for a group of teenagers. Should they not be listening to something a touch more rebellious? Mind you now they know that I have heard of Maroon 5, that band’s “cool” appeal will be lost and they will hopefully find something more appropriate. They then let me listen to something called Akon (I think). Again I had to admit that it wasn’t too bad. I’m not sure if that went down with them too well either. As an adult who likes the music they like, am I not gradually destroying their faith in it? Well I jolly well should be. They should be out there listening to cutting edge difficult music that I haven’t any hope of understanding never mind liking shouldn’t they? They don’t make teenagers like they used to.

Anyway, if I make it back in one piece I shall see you here again on Monday.

Have a lovely weekend.

10 comments:

Omega Mum said...

Don't take the blanket. Or worry about people's feet getting wet. Good luck.

Gwen said...

No - Funnily enough I get the distinct inpression that they like getting wet - as long as it doesn't muck up their hair! Thanks for the good luck wishes. I think I will need all the luck I can get!

Anonymous said...

Brave you! Have a great time, stay cool and.. oh, I dunno, whatever else teenagers do these days. I haven't heard of any of these new groups!
Crystal x

Squirmy Popple said...

Kavalier and Clay is a great book. Hopefully you'll have some time to read it!

Graeme said...

Akon is a scumbag. In any case, teenagers only think that they're cool.

Absolute Friends is a good read. It's not Le Carre's best, or even one of his better later novels, but it's still enjoyable.

The Good Woman said...

What have you done to deserve this? Actually, messing with a bunch of teenagers could be fun...

muddyboots said...

should be fun, thinking what our teenage staff are like!!

Valentine Suicide said...

Gwen, come back! IT'S GOING TO RAIN!!!

debio said...

You are so brave. There is a moral in your tale; should they do anything you don't like, just approve, join in and you can bet they will stop the activity immediately - except, perhaps, sex!

Gwen said...

Thanks Crystal, I'm certainly getting my education with these groups.

Didn't have time to read K&C, Katie, but will soon I am sure.

I didn't realise that Akon was such a nasty peice of work Graeme. I wonder if our girls and their parents know about this. I would reckon not.

Actually Good Woman and Muddy Boots they're not that bad and can really be quite funny at times. A great deal of fun can be had.

Sadly Valentine I did get a bit wet but that's the fun of camping isn't it?

I love your reverse psychology angle Debio. Come to think of it my mum used it on me when I was that age so it is something to consider.