Friday, April 27, 2007

Buy One Get One Free

I have to admit to a problem. As well as being a chocoholic and a workaholic I must humbly admit that I am also a “Bargain Basement Shopaholic. A close cousin of the Common or Garden Shopaholic, the Bargain Basement Shopaholic can’t resist “Half price”, “Buy one get one free”, “Closing down sale” and basically anything in TK Maxx. You spend so much on bargains that you could have bought any number of full price items many times over, but that’s not the point. It’s getting a bargain that counts. It’s the excitement that overwhelms you as you approach the sale rack. The barely contained anticipation of getting something for less than the original price. The heart races, the pulse quickens. Will they have it in your size? Even if it’s not in your size, could you still squeeze into it to avoid missing out? Will someone else (with no doubt a better figure than yours) get there first? You approach the rack, your mind focussed, your body tense like an athlete’s. Yes – it’s half price and Oh joy it’s in your size. But wait, there’s another woman who looks about your size hovering near your desired purchase. You tense for a moment, assessing her movements and your options. She’s looking at it. Is she interested? She moves to touch the fabric. She’s serious! Action has to be taken and it has to be taken now. You’re off. In for the kill. “Scuse me” you state boldly as you elbow her out of the way, snatch the item off the rail and leg it to the cash desk. You don’t stop to look back, nor to think about whether to try it on, nor whether you actually like it and will wear it, nor even whether you have an almost identical one already in your wardrobe. It’s a bargain and they don’t come along every day. (Well actually they do, but when you’re in Bargain Basement Shopaholic Mode, such rational thoughts have left your consciousness).

So why do I tell you this? Well, as most aholics will attest, aholism seriously affects the health of your bank balance and mine is no exception. I decided that I must do something and, as a journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step, I decided to take a single step (and leave all the other steps for another time). I decided to do my Asda shopping on line. The benefit to this I deduced, was that I could, like most normal people, just pop into the virtual shop and pop out again, only having bought the items that I actually needed, and not having been sidetracked by bargains. This seemed like a plan that might actually work. I felt quite pleased with myself to say the least. So one fine day I made my list of my essential needs, entered the virtual shop ordered my items and left again. End of bargain avoiding story, or so I thought. I had however neglected to note that it was necessary when ordering to include your e mail address. My naivety holds no bounds sometimes and I just didn’t think about the possible implications of this. Of course by now you will know what’s coming and you will be looking at your screen with a mixture of pity and sympathy (well I hope so anyway).

The “bargain offer e mails” have now started. I have been inundated with offers of bargains on any number of home entertainment options (despite the fact that my original shop included none of these), a free iPOD if I buy a mobile phone, and many other “not to be missed grocery offers”. Don’t they know the poverty that can be created by Bargain Basement Shopaholism? Don’t they know that the mere mention of the word “offer” starts the pulse racing and the purse to become anxious? E mailed offers make it so much easier as well. My hand hovers over the mouse. One click and the bargain could be mine. Today I managed to resist, but on another day, things could be quite different. I will go now and delete all the ASDA e mails and if I can put a block on any subsequent ones, that is what I will do.

And now a plea to Asda. If I wish to shop in your virtual store, it is because I do not wish to be deluged with your offers of things that you tell me that I just can’t live without. If I choose not to buy them on my first shop this should indicate clearly to you that I can in fact live without them. Therefore I don’t want you trying to convince me otherwise. Please leave me alone and stop sending me e mails. Yes I really can live without the Sony Ericsson K608i on 3 video, talk and text 350, Bluetooth, 1.3 Megapixel Camera with Flash, Video Streaming, Triband and Mobile Internet. Let’s be honest I don’t even know what most of that means!

Just one more thing, Asda, while we’re on the subject, please BOGOF.

5 comments:

Squirmy Popple said...

I too love a good bargin, and not only that, I can't help but tell people when I've bought something super cheap. If someone says, "I like your shirt," I can't just say thanks. I have to say, "I bought it for £3!" Classy I'm not.

Gwen said...

Oh Katie I have to say that I'm identical to you in that respect. I'm always telling people how cheap I got things for. I don't think classy is a word that could be easily applied to me either. Hyacinth Bucket I am most certainly not.

Valentine Suicide said...

I had a spate of online grocery shopping, and found that I was spending less. I used Tesco and they didn't bombard me with Spam.

I gave that up though, 'cause me and Madame Suicide actually started to miss going! Can you believe that?

So I'll be there tomorrow spying for bargains in the local Sainsburys..quite happy unless someone decides to stop me and ask me if I want to change my Gas/Electricity supplier.. GRRRRRR!

Kolley Kibber said...

Gwen, you could use this bombardment as a kind of 'flooding' technique, to help you deal with your spendaholism. Each time you log on, are 'flooded', and resist, you can use that to reinforce the fact that you have control over your addiction. We use this in Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy all the time! In a few months, you'll be free, and you'll have so much more money to go and blow in TK Maxx ( oh hang on, that's not right, is it)

Gwen said...

Valentine - I might go back to the online shopping and see if it saves me money too, although I have a feeling that I might miss going to the shops after a while, just like you and Madame Suicide.

ISBW - I will definitely try your technique. Your cheque for professional services rendered would be in the post, but sadly the only thing my cheques do these days is bounce!