Tuesday, April 24, 2007

When is a Tuna Roll not a Tuna Roll?


I had a strange experience whilst innocently getting my lunch yesterday. The conversation between me and the shop assistant (Roll Preparation Co-ordinator) was as follows:-

Me: “Can I have a tuna roll please”?

Roll Preparation Co-ordinator: “Do you want butter on that”?

Me: “Yes, just a bit thank you.”

RPC: “Fine, do you want tuna on that”?

WHAT!!! Had I heard her correctly? Was it not a tuna roll I had asked for? On the basis that I had in fact asked for a tuna roll would it not be likely that I would want tuna on the roll? What else would I be likely to want on a roll, having asked her for a tuna roll? Surely the definition of “tuna roll” would be a roll with tuna cunningly inserted into it.

Perhaps “Can I have a tuna roll” is some sort of spy code? If so maybe she was merely making absolutely sure that it was a tuna roll I was after and that I wasn’t really telling her that a Top Secret Agent involved in Project Underpants was ready to deliver his briefs.

I paused momentarily, not wanted her to see that I was somewhat flummoxed, shot her what I hoped was a winning smile and said “Yes, tuna please”, before grabbing the roll and diving out of the door to try to make sense of my encounter.

The tuna roll tasted OK though, but I think that the next time I go in, I will ask for a tuna roll and then complain when they don’t put cheese salad in it instead.

7 comments:

Squirmy Popple said...

I think this is a simple case of a shop assistant just not being very bright.

Gwen said...

Well Katie it has to be said that that thought had crossed my mind. It is more likely than the spy idea I grant you, but you never can tell!!

Valentine Suicide said...

Round here, if you buy a sandwich and pay with a ten or twenty pound note. The person who serves you alway shouts how much money you've given her to her workmate.

As in " Ten Pounds Ange !"

And the woman she shouts to is always called Ange. Always.

Gwen said...

Thanks Valentine

Nice to know that crazy shop assistants exist in other places too.

Graeme said...

She could have also been taking the piss. It passes the time.

Nunhead Mum of One said...

I went into our local chippy just now and asked for a portion of chips. "Salt and vinegar" the guy asked. "No thanks" i replied with a definite shake of my head. He sprinkled salt and vinegar liberally onto my chips, winking at me as he did so. Is he so used to asking that question that he doesn't listen to the answer any more?

Gwen said...

NMOO - I really feel for you as I can't stand vinegar and that would have been a ruined chippy for me. I really don't think their brains are in gear.