Monday, April 30, 2007

I Wanna Be Elected

Honestly, who would you vote for? I’m all for democracy, but having to vote isn’t the most fun thing on the planet now is it? To vote in Scotland seems now to require a degree just to understand how to fill out the voting forms. Then there’s the actual political parties and their policies to contend with. I’m afraid that I have a healthy disrespect for most politicians. I feel that they promise so much and then once they are elected, fail to deliver. Maybe that’s just me.

So we could have Labour, but do we really need more illegal wars and cash for honours scandals?

Then there are the Tories (ah no wait a minute, this is Scotland – that’ll never happen).

OK, so the next option are the Liberal Democrats. A viable option in policy terms but I’ve never forgiven them for the way they treated Charles Kennedy.

The Greens seem pretty sensible, but, even with proportional representation, always seem to me like a wasted vote which is a real shame.

The scariest observation I made was that there is a BNP candidate who looks pretty frightening even whilst wearing a suit in his election leaflet.

The front runner at the moment according to the opinion polls would appear to be the SNP who will offer a referendum on Independence for Scotland if elected. That’s a tough one. My main worry is can we afford it? Many of Scotland’s business leaders seem to think that we can, but a fair number have stated the reverse. Sadly, if we hit problems, it will probably be the poorest sectors of society who will suffer with increased taxes to pay for any economic miscalculations. Although a referendum does not mean that independence is a foregone conclusion I will be looking out my passport for travel to my relatives in England just in case.

Whatever happened to the Monster Raving Loonies? Come back, all is forgiven.

Roll on 3rd May!

8 comments:

Cursed Tea said...

Be brave!! I'm fed up of us hiding behind England's petticoat!!

I'm a ranting !! :)
Best Wishes
Kirsty

Gwen said...

Thanks Kirsty

Perhaps we have been looking at that precipice for far too long and now is the time to take a leap of faith.

ianbee said...

hey, you've summed up my dilemmas! i'm scared that if the SNP get in they'll throw the english out. and i'm frightened of the macdonald woman too.

Gwen said...

Hi Ian. Do you mean the indomitable Margo MacDonald? If so I know what you mean - she is a bit scary.

Don't worry - I don't think that they will throw the English out, but just to be on the safe side, I would work on that Scottish accent and mug up on your Scottish History just in case they implement a Test of Scottish Authenticity! (Actually was only joking but I just scared myself!)

ianbee said...

Yeah, she's scary, but I actually meant Nicola Sturgeon. She's terrifying.

Gwen said...

She's definitely not someone you would want to cross.

Cursed Tea said...

By all accounts there could be a mass exodus from England to Scotland should Independence actually happen - anything to get away from Tony and Gordon!!

So I widna worry aboot gettin chucked oot!!

Gwen said...

That sounds like a very sensible move Kirsty.