Monday, April 16, 2007

Inching Ever Closer

I had a birthday last week. It wasn't a scary age but it did have a 5 in it so it was halfway towards one or, if you prefer your cup half full, it was only five years away from a less scary one. I am very lucky to have friends both older and younger than me. I would heartily recommend this to anyone. Your younger friends will hopefully, in the main, be polite enough not to mention your advancing years and your older ones will have passed the scary age hurdles before you, hopefully lessening your fear to some degree as you approach the same stage. They will also mention with regularity just how lucky you are to be so much younger, and that can only make you feel better.

In order to celebrate, or perhaps just as an excuse, I had a party on Saturday night with the aforementioned friends. You know that you have reached that certain age when they bring their children. Don't get me wrong however. The children really were the life and soul of the party and it was great having them there. The prize for party animal of the night had to go to R. aged 2 who partied hard on a diet of water, smarties and wine gums until he fell asleep. The slightly older girls also had a ball and swapped fashion notes with us oldies to their hearts content.

I got some lovely presents - chocolates, wine, books etc so I really can't complain. We ate some of the homemade bread I have recently been trying to perfect and I think that I might have started a trend. It's now much better than my first attempt even though I do say so myself. One of my friends even mended my toilet seat which has never been right but I have never quite got around to doing anything about it. On a slightly stickier note, I was left with a lovely wine gummy mess attached to my sofa, but my mum thinks that she can get it off. You never can tell what's going to happen when you have a party.

Things wound up around midnight, and as everyone spilled down the stairs and out into the night, our next extravaganza was planned. Inspired, no doubt by the glorious weather during the weekend, we are now planning a Barbecue at my humble abode with no less than two barbecues so that we can invite more people (the entire village perhaps?).

A good night was had by all. Here’s hoping for some good weather over the summer so that we can have that double barbecue.

5 comments:

Squirmy Popple said...

Happy Birthday! It was as great weekend for a birthday celebration.

Bright Ambassador said...

Happy birthday, Gwen!

Gwen said...

Thanks Katie and Rich for your birthday wishes

Valentine Suicide said...

Sounds like you had a great time Gwen.
Many happy returns!

Gwen said...

Thanks Valentine