Thursday, May 03, 2007

An Alternative Universe

Sometimes the sheer stupidity of an individual leaves me dumbfounded. I read a story yesterday about a motorist who thought that it was safe to drive after downing nine pints as long as he wore his seatbelt. (We must assume that the said nine pints contained alcoholic beverage rather than water.) So he thought that his judgement wouldn’t be impaired? He was doing 80mph in a 30mph zone! I would call that very impaired judgement wouldn’t you?

So if drink driving and speeding is OK as long as you have your seatbelt on, what else would be OK in this alternative universe?

Robbing someone’s house would be OK as long as you put back everything neatly when you had finished.

Attacking someone would be OK as long as you did it in a safe place where they couldn’t fall and bang their head.

Murder would be OK as long as the murderer gave a detailed explanation afterwards of his motive. This happens in almost all detective novels but almost never in real life.

If you can think of any more or any better examples (which I’m sure you can) please let me know.





5 comments:

Squirmy Popple said...

I can't think of any good examples, but I also read this story and thought it was ridiculous. This guy's logic is flawed for so many reasons, not the least of which is the fact that if he hits someone while drink driving, he may be saved by the seatbelt but the person he hit could still die. Idiot.

Nunhead Mum of One said...

Hi Gwen

I can't believe the stupidity of some people. Unbelievable.

I've added your link!

Gwen said...

Katie and NMOO - Thanks for your comments.

NMOO - Thanks for adding my link. I will reciprocate shortly.

The Good Woman said...

Tragically, rape would be safe if you used a condom.

I think the point is that its not just stupid, but profoundly selfish.

Enjoyed finding you site though. Sounds like we had similar election quandries...

Gwen said...

Thanks for your comment GW and welcome to my site. I've been enjoying your site too. Nice to know that someone else shares my feelings on the elections.

Cheers

Gwen