Thursday, May 10, 2007

A Bit of a Do

I’m looking wistfully through some lovely dresses. Dresses which are lovingly wrapped in tissue and are, for most of the time, stored away out of reach. The dresses all belong to me and I have a little tear in my eye. Why so sad? (as the hooker said to Michael J Fox in the Film “Bright Lights Big City”).

(Why such sad film trivia knowledge? – but that’s another post.)

You see I have some lovely dresses, bought in a fog of positivity and hopefulness, with the budget pushed to its limits, and nowhere to go in them. I never seem to be invited to the sort of functions which require the men in “Black Ties” and ladies to complement this with a dazzling array of sparkling, floaty evening gowns. I admit to going to many a great gathering where jeans are the norm, much drinking and fun is to be had and wouldn’t miss them for the world. But just once, wouldn’t it be nice to go to some fancy event where I could put on a posh frock, put my hair up and pretend to be sophisticated for an evening?

Not actually being trained in etiquette and the ways of the posh, I suppose it’s quite likely that I would disgrace myself by spilling red wine down myself, tripping over my dress or eating one too many canapés. I know of no men who would be seen dead in a black tie (or any other type of tie for that matter.) I’d probably try to talk to someone like Posh n’ Becks and find them dreadful bores. I might even drop off to sleep with the sheer tedium of it all although I doubt that Posh n’ Becks would notice. They’d be too busy worrying about who was noticing them. All in all I would probably have had an awful evening but at least I’d have got to wear one of my good frocks.

My horoscope (which of course I don’t take too seriously) said that today I would “have to let go of one of my dreams”. I think perhaps that this might be the one. Posh functions are perhaps not really me, so I will pack the dresses away again until the next time I feel the need for a little wistfulness.

18 comments:

Bright Ambassador said...

I went to a black tie do once, to impress a girl. She dumped me a few months later for an accountant!

Jon Peake said...

As someone who's been to many a posh do, whether I've wanted to or not, let me tell you Gwen you're not missing much.

They're crowded, hot, noisy, you're sweating in your black tie, you can't see anyone, you can't speak to anyone. And the girls all say they can never find anything to wear and when they do spend the whole evening feeling uncomfortable and trussed up.

Sometimes they can be fun, depending on the occasion, but more often than not they're a chore I can't wait to leave, depending on how drunk I am.

Give me a jeans do any day of the week.

Unknown said...

Oi! I hope you're not planning on wearing jeans to my wedding!

Gwen said...

Rich

More fool that girl for dumping you for an accountant. Accountants don't exactly have the most stimulating of reputations - Just look at Gordon Brown!


Five Centres

If I am ever asked to one of these dos I will remember your advice and attend in jeans.

John

Damn - Now I'm going to have to think of something else to wear. I've got a rather nice pair of combat trousers...........

Squirmy Popple said...

I often see posh dresses that I'd love to buy but never do because I'd have nowhere to go in them.

I only own one dress. It is black, very sensible and unlikely to go out of style. I've had it for two years and have only worn it once.

I guess I'm a jeans girl at heart.

Gwen said...

You know, Katie, I think I probably am too. It's just the dressing up part of the story that I fancy. Actually probably more than the posh do itself

Clair said...

I think you should throw your own black-tie party. Why not make it a charity fundraiser? I must admit, I REALLY like getting dressed up and seeing my pals in their finery.

Gwen said...

What an excellent idea Clair. Now why didn't I think of that? I will now put my thinking cap on and see where I can take this idea. Thanks a lot

Kelly Innes said...

I had one long beautiful (and far too glamourous for me)black dress- kept it in my wardrobe, willing myself to meet the kind of man who would take me somewhere I could wear it.....met said man, got married, got invited somewhere befitting dress, but dress didn't fit anymore. Gutted. Have my wedding dress- do you reckon that would do?

Pepette said...

Funny this! I started a wardrobe clear out last night and discovered I had some lovely dresses, bought clearly in moments of insanity that I had NEVER worn - still had the labels on, just to remind me I paid way too much money for them!
Next wedding I go too, I'll take them all and have a change of outfit every hour like they do at awards ceremony.

Squirmy Popple said...

I think the charity ball is a great idea - a good cause and a great excuse to wear a pretty dress.

Gwen said...

Kelly

What a shame. I really feel for you as I have a habit of growing in and out of clothes at quite a rate. I'm sure your wedding dress is gorgeous and would look lovely at such an occasion.

Pepette

That sounds like a great idea. I have a couple of weddings to go to (sadly none of them mine!) in August, and I could try that.

Katie

I love that idea. I'm seriously thinking about planning an event like this. I'm now away to put the finishing touches to our James Bond Themed event which is happening tomorrow and is for charity. The next event might just be the Black Tie and Fancy Frock themed event.

Graeme said...

Who needs a special event to get dressed up? A few years ago me and some friends got together and decided that even though a house party we were going to didn't have a theme, we were going to give it a prom theme and so the guys were all dressed up in suits and the women were all in dresses. Because I am a classy guy I decided to drink classy things (two thirds of a bottle of Tanqueray and a bottle of Bordeaux) and I became so ill that I literally thought I was going to die.

Gwen said...

Sounds excellent Graeme. A classy do and classy drinks. The hangover sounds like a bit of a nightmare though.

Anonymous said...

I've got this absolutely gorgeous dress, it's green and swirly (sounds awful I know but it's not)....very flimsy, very flighty and am terrified of wearing it in case I either ruin it or some "well meaning" soul tells me that I'm done up like a dogs dinner!

Gwen said...

N. Mum

I have to admit to having a couple of dresses that I too am afraid to wear in case I ruin them. One is a light beige with sequins, dry clean only and I love it but am afraid to wear it in case I spill red wine or something similar on it. So I can really feel for you on that one. I hope, however that no one would ever tell you that you look like a "dogs dinner". If anyone was ever so rude then they wouldn't be worth knowing. I'm sure that no one would say such a thing. If I were you, I would go out and wear it proudly (just steer clear of food and drinks - I know I would if it was me!)

Kolley Kibber said...

I think the idea of a 'Grown-up Prom' is wonderful. Select your Top Frock from that fabulous-sounding pile of rustling tissue, and give it an airing before the summer's out!

Gwen said...

This is most definitely on my To Do List now ISBW. My thinking cap is on, and preparations will commence forthwith.