Tuesday, May 15, 2007

James Bond Has Left The Building

The sun had got his hat on, but his mum didn’t allow him out to play. And so it was that on Saturday, the day of our big James Bond Event, it was a touch cloudy and chilly. Rain hovered in the air, aquiver with warning of impending downpour, but fortunately, the warning came to nothing.

I got to look official and important carrying a clipboard and pen around all day, somewhat incongruously dressed up as a “Bond Girl” in a floaty dress with a large red rose perched atop my head. I don’t think that either Eva Green or Ursula Andress ever carried a clipboard and pen so I felt pretty special. It must be said that I came near to freezing in said floaty dress and had to be told to smile occasionally. This was somewhat hard having had 3 ½ hours sleep and a mouth so cold that I could barely talk, never mind smile.

Sadly, despite our best attempts, no celebrity was forthcoming to perform the opening ceremony. As one of our team members would say “we’re just not sexy enough”. I personally think that they had had a tip off that a certain someone would be writing a post about them afterwards.

Our bouncy castle, coming somewhat inexplicably from China, was impounded at Customs. Apparently the Chinese, on hearing that it was destined for James Bond, thought that it was part of a dastardly plot by the British Intelligence Service for world domination. They may release it on delivery of Daniel Craig and an Aston Martin.

The youth group were unhappy about the lack of a bouncy castle and complained that there just wasn’t enough for older people to do. Older People? I couldn’t quite imagine my 93 year old grannie negotiating the now non-existent bouncy castle, but it was nice of them to think of their elders and betters. Of course it turned out that by “older people” they meant 15 – 16 year olds ie themelves. If they are old now, what will that make them when they hit 93?

Having said that, the event was of course a tremendous success. Our small village gets together, has copious amounts of coffee, tea and buns, and a huge amount of money is raised for charity. It isn’t sexy but it’s important because not only do charities benefit, but it also brings people together in an age when community spirit can be somewhat lacking.

Now I’ll have a well earned rest for a couple of months, before the planning for next year’s extravaganza starts. Anyone got a good idea for a theme and/or a celebrity?

10 comments:

Claire said...

you mean not even shabaz turned up?!

Gwen said...

Sadly no, unless he turned up out of interest but stayed well out of my way. If he did, he's a sensible chap. He wouldn't want me waxing lyrical about him now would he?

Clair said...

well done Gwen,sounds fab!

Gwen said...

Thanks Clair. Yes it was a pretty good day. Roll on next year.

Nunhead Mum of One said...

Sounds excellent! A bit of a worry about the bouncy castle though - i've got visions of lots of Customs officials trying to blow it up.

Surely if you had a clipboard you should have been Miss Moneypenny?

Gwen said...

The controlled explosion of a bouncy castle would have been quite an event N. Mum. I bet they would have loved a go on it first though.

Maybe Miss Moneypenny would have been a good idea. I was trying to go for the glamorous look, although I'm not sure that I perfected it.

Bright Ambassador said...

Where's the pics?

Gwen said...

Rich, I have just seen the photos, and can I just say, they do nothing for me. So much for trying to look glamorous. I don't think I can do glamorous. If I ever find a photo in which I look even vaguely bewitching I will post it but don't hold your breath.

Anonymous said...

Celeb hide and seek with Father Nugent?

Gwen said...

Not as far as I know but if you know something I don't David......