Friday, May 18, 2007

A Cheery Dearie

Here's a cheery thought for a Friday.

It was a damp, miserable day in Glasgow. The sort of day that we seem to get rather a lot around here despite the promises of Global Warming. To take my mind off the inclement weather I did what comes most naturally. I indulged in a spot of retail therapy. It was while shopping that I found myself talking to a little old lady who declared rather mournfully (in the mournful way that seems to come naturally to many Scots) "Well, that's us had our summer then".

Her little old face with its little old hang dog expression reminded me somewhat of a Basset Hound. Did I offer her calm, quiet, understanding sympathy. Oh no, not I. If I had known her better (or even at all) I would have advised her to pull herself together pretty sharpish. As I didn't know her from Adam (and let's be honest I don't even know Adam) I exclaimed in a friendly but not to be messed with sort of fashion "For goodness sake we're only in May. I'm sure we'll get better weather between now and the end of the summer". Wondering if I had slightly overdone it on the forcefulness I then added in a somewhat softer tone "Don't worry about it".

The little old lady didn't show any signs of relief. In fact she didn't show many signs at all. I hastily left the shop and this poor soul to her weather woes.

Why, you might wonder was she not reassured by the prospect of better weather. My theory is this. The temperature will rise ever so slightly. The clouds will part and the sun will start to sizzle the streets. Wherever you look people will be out in shorts and T shirts embracing the heat. Where will she be? I’ll tell you where. She’ll still be in that little shop, with the same hang dog expression and this time she’ll be saying “It’s just too hot these days, I just can’t cope with this heat.” There's just no pleasing some people is there?

9 comments:

Nunhead Mum of One said...

Haha, I'm the same! When it's wet and raining I'm wishing for nicer weather but when it's hot and stuffy I'm yearning for a bit of a breeze and lower temperature!

Although, I do prefer cooler weather to hot.....my internal thermostat is on the blink.

Gwen said...

I probably prefer hotter weather N. Mum, but last summer's heatwave was definitely a bit too hot even for me. We're never happy are we?

Omega Mum said...

But at least the summers are cool - I love Scotland in July and August - as long as I remember to keep lots of fleeces, gloves, big coats on hand the whole time. Nice blog.

Gwen said...

Thanks Omega Mum. My cousins came up from England last year in the midst of our blistering heatwave and said that they found Scotland lovely and cool. Of course it was still a bit too hot for me!

Kelly Innes said...

Despite having spent the vast part of my childhood in the Middle east i now have absolutely no tolerance for warm weather. I put the fan on to do the ironing, then complain about the rain outside!!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't think we're ever satisfied. Farmers are worse than anyone I'm sure. If we get rain, we need it dry and when it's cracking the flags (or the soil in my case), we want the rain to feed the crops, unless it's harvest time then the sun usually helps. You're right, there's no pleasing some people! Great blog!

Gwen said...

It's so true we are never satisfied.

Kelly - have you ever written about your time in the Middle East. That would make interesting reading.

CJ - Thanks a lot for your comments on my blog. Much appreciated. Please visit again.

Eden said...

Oh too true. Maybe it's not a complaint but a kind of way of making conversation.

Gwen said...

Thanks for your comment Eden and do visit again. I had never thought of that, maybe it was just her way of making conversation. We do have a tendancy towards weather talk as a way of breaking the ice don't we?