Friday, May 25, 2007

I Hope I Dry Before I Get Cold

I’m going to a concert at the weekend. It’s Deacon Blue and The Saw Doctors at Ayr Racecourse. Hooray you might say, but I may have a problem. The weather forecast is for, yes you’ve guessed it, rain.

The prospect of rain is not one which fills me with any joy, although you could say that I should have got used to it by now, and it gives me a somewhat worrying clothing dilemma. You see I’m considering the wearing of a long green waxed trench coat because if it rains it will be the only thing capable of keeping me and the elements at a healthy distance. However I fear that this is not suitable concert wear and that I may be the subject of some derision.

Rain never seemed to bother me in my younger concert going days. This may of course have been because of the copious amounts of alcohol consumed as a precursor, cursor* and après cursor * to these events. However alcohol is not a luxury to be afforded me this time because I am driving to the concert. There and back. What a thought. In the heady days of youth the thought of going to a concert in a car, never mind in a green waxy trench coat would have been an anathema. Glastonbury and T-In the Park were serviced by a number of busses travelling from all corners of the country. The hedonistic lifestyle started the moment you set foot on the bus. Drinks were drunk, hair was braided, other things happened that I can’t discuss on a public site and the party began. By the time you arrived at your destination you might not have known what day of the week it was and a number of strange intermingling smells were permeating your consciousness but friendships had been made and a sense of community spirit prevailed. We thought that we were neo hippies, before we realised that our parents had been there before us and had done it so much better.

So here I am, an adult of sorts, and I’m going to be driving to a concert wearing, in effect, a long green waxed jacket. How we would have laughed on that Glastonbury bus, had someone so attired stepped on and I know that it’s not what my parents fought the hippie wars for.

So what do I do? Do I wear the trench coat and risk looking like a fool or do I wear my leather-look jacket and risk catching a chill? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.


* I may have made these words up.

8 comments:

Omega Mum said...

If you did make them up, they're crackers. I particularly like apres cursor - and feel it should go into general use. I have always hated the rain. It dilutes the booze, frankly.

Valentine Suicide said...

I think definately go with the trenchie, Gwen. No question. I think if you can get a matching cowboy hat, all the better..

I've alway fancied striding through the countryside in a Drizabone coat and a slouch hat.

Failing that I've got a new wetsuit which I'm happy to lend you.

Have fun!

Gwen said...

I looked up the words in my trusty dictionary and they definitely weren't there Omega Mum. Should I call Victoria Coren and her etymologist chums?

You are right about the rain diluting the drinks. I can well remember the unwelcome splashes of water into these big cardboard cups full of beer or cider at festivals. Only one solution - drink more!

Now the wetsuit sounds like a good idea VS and can I just say that striding through the countryside in a drizabone type coat and hat really is as good and therapeutic as it sounds. I would recommend it to anyone. Remember to take your dogs too as dogs complete the look perfectly.

Kolley Kibber said...

Chances are you will already be standing in a quagmire with drips running off the end of your nose by now, but, maybe for future reference...I never risk an outdoor gig in this country without my black,floor-length, hooded rubber mac from Gap. It folds down to a neat little package of about 6"X6", and comes with its own little zippered bag. The worst that can happen to you in this mac is that you will look like one of the Fields of the Nephelim. But at least you'll be dry.

Gwen said...

Well ISBW, I'm now back after a rainless day which was somewhat unexpected. I like the idea of the mac from Gap and will look out for it.

A more detailed post on yesterday's events will follow once I have fixed my PC which finally bit the technological dust yesterday.

Nunhead Mum of One said...

I love the Saw Doctors! "I have fallen for another...., tralala!"

Anonymous said...

I heard on Women's Hour - fount of all knowledge - that macs are back.
Trench, pac-a-macs, Burberries, take your pick and stay dry.
Hope it was fun.
We haven't had much rain down these parts... not nearly as much as usual anyhow.

Gwen said...

Hi Nunhead mum. Yes they played that one as well as I Useda Lover. Great fun and review to follow shortly.

I'm glad that Macs are back Beta Mum. So practical and they can look pretty good too.