Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Six Degrees of Separation

I have always been intruiged by the idea of six degrees of separation - the theory that anyone on the planet can be connected to any other person on the planet through a chain of acquaintances that has no more than five intermediaries. (The theory was first proposed in 1929 by the Hungarian writer Frigyes Karinthy in a short story called "Chains.")
It is of course even more intersting if you can link up with someone famous and I bet that most people can. My claim to Degree of Separation fame is that I once worked beside someone whose neice was Kylie Minogue's PA - so I think that that would make me two degrees of separation away from Kylie. Apparently her PA had the same size of feet as Kylie and got all her cast off shoes - how good would that be?
Anyway - has anyone else out there in blogland got a claim to degrees of separation fame?

6 comments:

E.Louise said...

I just left instructions for you but it seems to have got lost so I'll try again.
It's a while since I set up analytics and I have the newer beta version of blogger - I don't know if you do or not. Go to your 'dashboard' and edit the layout or template - the place where the long html code is. At the end of all that code, copy in the code that google gave you and save the changes. You have to go to the google site to see the data. I haven't found a way of 'copying' and pasting so I had to copy the code by hand. Hope it works!
Emma
PS 6 degrees? Well, Andrew Collins left a comment on my blog :) And I went to school with Cliff Richard's god-daughter.

Gwen said...

Emma

Thanks a lot. It seems to have worked. Your 6 degrees' are pretty cool as well.

Clair said...

I've got three from Sharon Stone!

Gwen said...

Clair

Thanks for your comment - I am very impressed.

Cheers

Gwen

Claire said...

i once worked out i was 4 degrees away from the beastie boys, but sadly it was not enough to get them to play at my wedding reception

Gwen said...

Moosh - I'm impressed. That would have been some wedding with the Beastie Boys playing.