Monday, July 16, 2007

Eating for Scotland

I have been tagged by The Good Woman to recommend 5 Glasgow Eateries. I have to say that on being tagged I immediately encountered Bloggers Block and the names of the many restaurants I’m sure I must have have visited over the course of the last few months mysteriously vanished from my mind. This is of course the same mind that tried to enter a boarded up shop and car park so perhaps that’s only to be expected. Anyway, whilst I was desperately trawling the vast empty recesses of my memory and t’internet trying to remember where I was when I last encountered a Glasgow Eaterie, R. called me and reminded me where I was while I was with her in any case. So here are the combined recollections that we could rustle up:-

1. Café Cossachok, 38 Albion Street, Glasgow

This restaurant has recently moved into bigger premises in Albion Street and I’m very taken with its Russian, Armenian, Georgian and Ukranian menu which includes Blinis, Beef Stroganof and Musaka. There is a lovely homely atmosphere, the staff are very friendly and the food is very good value for money. There is also live folk and jazz music and an art gallery to peruse at your leisure. The only thing that lets the side down is the puddings which are not home made and appear to have come out of the frozen food section of the local Asda. However everything else is so good that, in my opinion, this small inconsistency can be overlooked.

2. Bombay Blues, 41 Hope Street, Glasgow

If you love Indian food and you love buffets this is the place to go. All manner of Indian delicacies are available in a cosy, friendly atmosphere and at the sort of prices that suit your average penniless P.A. Just don’t do what I did and take the phrase “eat all you can” too literally or your stomach will protest for the next week. I can assure you that when this happened to me it had nothing to do with the food – just my greed.

3. Thai Lemongrass Restaurant, 24 Renfrew Street, Glasgow

All manner of gorgeous, authentic Thai food which I can’t pronounce so it must be good. The service is very pleasant and the atmosphere and décor is fabulous. The prices are not overly cheap but it’s worth saving up for a couple of weeks and going to experience it for yourself.

4. Two Fat Ladies, 118A Blythswood Street, Glasgow

Fortunately you need neither be a fat lady nor have any interest in bingo to gain admittance to this fine establishment. A veritable feast of speciality fish and shellfish awaits, along with a friendly service, an intimate atmosphere and prices that should but won’t have your bank manager freezing your account.

5. Topolino, 285 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow

A lovely little Italian establishment offering not just Italian Food, not even M&S food, but burgers, piri piri chicken and Cajun spiced salmon. A friendly service and excellent prices make this a real delight.

I would also like to give an honourable mention to Wagamama, 97 – 103 West George Street (outlets throughout Britain) who do quite the best noodles I have ever tasted.

I believe now that the correct form is to tag three more people to recommend 5 eateries in their necks of the woods. Rather than put the onus on anyone in particular I would just say, if anyone reading this would like to do such a review, I would be very interested to read it.

7 comments:

The Good Woman said...

Oh thank you thank you! I'm wildly excited that you included a Thai restaurant - we'll definitely have to swing by there. I've been looking for a replacement for my Cape Town haunt - Yindee's, in case you're ever looking for Thai in the Mother City.

Kelly Innes said...

Should I ever get as far north as Glasgow, I shall sample some of these places- they sound splendid!

Squirmy Popple said...

I LOVE the Thai Lemongrass restaurant! There needs to me more Thai food in Glasgow, I say.

Gari said...

You forgot the Blue Lagoon chippies.

Gwen said...

Glad to have been of assistance Good Woman. The Thai Lemongrass is definitely worth a visit and if I am ever in Cape Town I will look out for Yindees

I hope you get to sample some of these places Kelly - they really are all excellent. I also hope you do venture this far north. Just remember to bring woolies and waterproofs with you when you do.

Most definitely Katie. I'm not sure of any other Thai restaurants in Glasgow. There is the Thai Fountain in Woodside Terrace but I don't know what it is like.

It did enter my head to include the Blue Lagoon Gari, but you know I only had 5 options. It was Number 6 on the list - honest!!

Gari said...

Actually, I believe you. I know you wouldn't lie.

Gwen said...

You are a sensible man Gari.