Thursday, July 26, 2007

I’d Have Been Quicker Walking

I suppose I should have realised that there was something wrong when I approached the station platform to find far too many people milling about looking disgruntled. The announcement board told the story of their and my impending misery with its stark “Train Delayed”. Since I started my adventures in train travel there have been many imaginative reasons for train delays and cancellations. As well as the infamous “leaf on the line” and “the wrong kind of rain” other memorable excuses have included “the driver didn’t turn up this morning” (and we couldn’t be bothered to find a replacement), and “stormy conditions the previous night” (a slightly stronger wind than normal which let’s be honest, in Scotland we should be able to cope with).

Whatever the reason for the delay, we were never informed and eventually a train hauled itself along the track in the direction of the platform. Of course not the platform it was supposed to be at and we all had to shuffle our way through the throng of passengers whose trains had come in on time and were now rushing in the opposite direction.

When the doors opened we collapsed into the train as if our lives depended on it. Despite it having seemed to be an empty train when we started to step aboard, somewhat miraculously as soon as we were inside all the seats were taken. We were lucky to have got on mind you and felt for those with sadness and anger in their faces who we left behind. They could only watch helplessly as the doors shut in their faces leaving them to whatever fate they imagined awaited on the platform. Let’s be honest their fate would probably be their spouses shouting at them for being late and the dinner being ruined so it probably was a fate worse than death.

The train started its crawl out of the station like a sick old man, coughing and spluttering as he contemplated the last moments of his life. In stark contrast trim eager young trains set off beside us at an energetic pace and at least three had passed us before we even met the daylight outside the station walls. Even the posh voiced taped announcer sounded sick.

"Thi..i..i..i..s train is urgh"

"The…next…stop…will…aargh"

We didn’t hear any more. Either she had expired or she had thrown herself from the train in misery. We never did find out.

The train struggled on. Sometimes stopping for a breather and then hauling itself into unwilling motion again. No conductor came to take tickets and with the loss of the announcer we really hoped that someone was actually driving the train. Eventually, and thankfully, the train came to a standstill at my stop, taking roughly double the time it normally takes. I only hope for the other passengers’ sakes that it made it to the end of its painful journey.

I think I’ll take the car in tomorrow.

9 comments:

Kelly Innes said...

Have awarded you....an award. Check out my little blog to find out details.

Pepette said...

Gwen, I really sympathise with you. I used to get the train everyday when I was living south of the border and like you, I heard it all.
It made me appreciate French trains a lot more!

Squirmy Popple said...

My friend once said that his train was delayed "due to vandalism." Apparently spray paint affects the trains ability to go.

Anonymous said...

I haven't been on a train for donkey's years. I can't say I've missed train journeys and I am not in a hurry to go on one again. I think the car is a wise move!

Crystal xx

Gwen said...

Thanks Kelly. Very much appreciated. I will be over to check it out.

I think that the British system has a lot to learn from the French and German Rail Network Pepette.

That certainly wouldn't surprise me Katie. Do you think that they have someone employed just to make up excuses?

A very wise move Crystal. I can understand that you would not miss the trains.

Omega Mum said...

Were you at least able to finish Harry P on the journey or had you already raced through it? And, if so, did you enjoy it?

Gwen said...

To be honest Omega Mum, I'm going to be lazy and not read it. One of my friends is going to read it and will let me know what happens!

Shailaja Gokhale (Bhope) said...

You write very nice. Liked your posts and way of writting.

Gwen said...

Thanks Shailaja. Much appreciated and please do visit again.