Friday, July 20, 2007

Life Begins at 30

One of my new colleagues turns the big 3 0 at the weekend and is viewing the experience with some trepidation. This may have had something to do with the fact that her flatmate told her that the best time of her life had been that from 20 – 30 and after that it had gone downhill rapidly. To be fair there are a number of downsides that I have encountered since hitting 30 which I shall painfully relate:-

1. You develop an unhealthy obsession with “what the weather’s going to do tomorrow” and buy a sensible raincoat.

2. You dash home in time to see “Location Location Location” and know that your home must be “decorated in soft neutrals.”

3. You turn up to a nightclub only to have the bouncer ask you respectfully whose mum you are.

4. Your hairdresser has stopped asking you if you are “going anywhere nice tonight”.

5. All your friends are getting married and you haven’t met any single men of your own age for at least 10 years.

6. Your friends have stopped asking you if you are seeing anyone.

7. You meet your mum whilst admiring that lovely cable knit cardy in Marks and Spencers.

8. You realise that the 1980’s only seem like a few years ago.

9. You have colleagues who weren’t even born in the 1980’s.

10. And the worst? You find yourself quite enjoying that nice chap Terry Wogan on R2 of a morning.

I think that I convinced her however that things actually do get better after the age of 30. Actually hitting 30 itself was a bit painful for me but here’s why the subsequent years have been more than kind:-

1. Being cool and fashionable no longer matters and in fact it is quite acceptable to be a little eccentric.

2. You can economise by borrowing your mum’s clothes and shoes without fear of embarrassment or ridicule from your peers who are by now doing the same thing.

3. You now have friends who are older than you, thereby passing the important age milestones before you, making the process less painful when you reach them. (Thanks here must go particularly to R. and J.)

4. You start to mentally prepare for and look forward to the challenges of the mid life crisis.

5. You can criticise younger people for their taste in music and clothes sense and in fact it now becomes a new fun hobby.

6. Your boss doesn’t laugh when you mention that great new idea you have had. OK he also doesn’t take it much further but there is a sense of progress no matter how small.

7. You get to experiment with hair dye as a “gradual lightening” of your hair takes place.

8. Your auntie stops asking you what you are going to be when you grow up despite the fact that neither of you know yourselves yet.

9. When you buy far too many sweeties and the shop assistant gives you a funny look you can say “it’s for the kids”.

10. You can indulge in a relaxing snooze after lunch without anyone thinking anything untoward

See it’s not so bad it it? Now...... Roll on 40. (Gulp)

18 comments:

Omega Mum said...

Very true. Bitter sweet stuff. PS - is there any chance you could send me the schmooze logo via comments, or is there an easier way of using it?

Valentine Suicide said...

I'm quite looking forward to being thirty G. I can start to behave like an proper adult...

Anonymous said...

FAB blog! So true in so many respects. Two & a half years and I'll be the big 4 0. It isn't so bad. Does it mean I can be even more eccentric and dye my hair pink?

Crystal xx

Pepette said...

Oh you really made me laugh! I'm turning 30 in December, some days I wish time would just stop now and I could stay in my twenties for a lot longer and some other days I do actually look forward to it... I think it's actually harder for my parents : their little girl turning 30, now they DO feel old! :)

Gwen said...

Indeed Omega Mum. I'll see what I can do with my very limited IT skills.

Oh no VS. I actually think that regressing back into childhood would be much more fun.

Thanks Crystal. Turning 40 should be great. I think you should definitely go for dying your hair pink. The more shocking and eccentric the better.

Pepette you should really look forward to it. It really does get so much better from there on in. When my dad teases me about getting old I just remind him that he is still ageing in a direct proportion to me with the addition of almost 30 years.

Iota said...

What do you mean, the 1980's only seem like a few years ago? They ARE only a few years ago.

Gwen said...

Exactly Iota. Let's keep it that way.

Squirmy Popple said...

While I haven't hit the big 3-0 yet, I HAVE developed an unhealthy obsession with the weather. I think that might have more to do with living in Scotland than getting older, though.

Gwen said...

I think you may be right Katie. The Scottish weather does tend to bring out the weather obsession in us all. It is very understandable.

Kelly Innes said...

I can honestly say I was delighted to turn thirty (not least because DH whisked me to New York and bought me a diamond necklace) because I am sure I have always been this age. The evidence:

I have three aprons.
I always listen to radio 2, except when Russell Brand is on.
I shop almost exclusively in M&S.
I complain about children who are out after dark, and unnecessarily loud music.
On my list of 'things our new house must have' are utility room and garage.

I guess it reaches some quicker than others...

Jon Peake said...

Wait until you hit 40, Gwen. Then you realise that the years zip by, but also that your best times are still to come.

Omega Mum said...

thanks for logo tips - absolutely brilliant. Incidentally, I inadvertently published your tips for doing it. Hope you don't mind your technical brilliance being published for the world to see.

debio said...

Nominated you for an award, gwen.

Gwen said...

What a wonderful list Kelly. I am most impressed. However I am also hugely impressed by the diamond necklace. What on earth will you get when you turn 40?

Thanks Five Centres for your reassurance that things can only get better and better after 40. Excellent news!

I don't mind you publishing how to put on the logo Omega Mum. I only hope that that is the right way to do it.

Thanks Debio. I'll need to look out another glam dress for the awards ceremony.

muddyboots said...

take it from me, 40s are much better

Gwen said...

Excellent Muddy Boots. I'm looking forward to them already. Thanks

Kolley Kibber said...

Have you had the delightful experience of being addressed as 'ladies' by an eighteen-year-old waitress, when meeting one or more female friends for coffee? Or does that one only kick in when you're over 40? I'm waiting for the first time I get called 'dear' by someone half my age. They won't try it twice.

Gwen said...

I'm not sure about 18 year old waitresses but I have had the pleasure of being addressed as Laydeese by sleazy waiters. The first time anyone refers to me as dear they too will regret it.