Thursday, July 12, 2007

I'm Not From Round Here

I had a day off work today (more of which later) and spent the day visiting old haunts and elderly relatives, namely my previous town of residence and my Grannie.

My first failed port of call was Tescos. Now I had been told that it was shut for 6 months for refurbishment but this fact had slipped my mind. It had still slipped my mind when I drove up to the boarded up building and gaily tried to drive into the boarded up car park. I do worry about myself sometimes.

“Can I help you dear?” said a man coming towards me.

“Oh, they must have new car park attendants” I thought

“Yes I’m trying to get into Tesco”.

“The store’s closed dear. You’ve got a long wait. We don’t open again for another 6 months.”

“Oh Dear” I said, somewhat embarrassed. “Erm I don’t come from round here so I didn’t know, sorry”

“Don’t worry you’re not the only one who has done the same thing” I’m sure he lied.

I feel that it may have been more truthful to state that not only was I not from round here but I was in fact from the moon. Far more accurate.

My next attempt at finding an open shop was the second hand bookshop, near my old flat, which I used to visit on a regular basis. On approaching, the first thing I noticed was the dog, a real live Jack Russell, sitting in the window of the shop. Showing excellent business sense, he or she wagged his/her tail whenever a customer came into the shop and barked to scare away any other dogs who approached. Obviously other dogs were serious competition to his bookselling business.

The shop itself was, as usual, in wonderful disarray. It is possible that at some time far in the distant past there was a system of books on subject classified shelves, but that had long since vanished and now books were liberally strewn all over the floor in and out of poly bags with the lucky ones finding shelf space wherever there was room. You must be prepared to spend a good couple of hours in the shop, scrabbling among shelves and on the floor, dodging angry spiders undisturbed for years as you search for a hidden gem which in all probability, and with a lot of patience, you will undoubtedly find.

The human equivalent of the Jack Russell was an animated chap behind the counter. As a small digression it was impossible to actually reach the counter as there were so many books on the floor in front of it. On purchasing a book you had to lean over all the books tossing the book you wanted onto the counter, careful not to trip up as you left.

The shopkeeper had either led an interesting life or had pilfered his interesting life out of one of the many books in his shop. It appeared that he was wanted by the CIA, the FBI, MI5 and various other intelligence agencies in relation to shady work which he had done some twenty years ago. I listened intently because some part of me warned that to show disbelief could prove dangerous. I bought a couple of books and made a hasty exit.

Next, it was off to my Grannie’s for lunch. It would appear that whenever I visit my Grannie we have fish and chips, either from the chippie or Tesco’s. Today was the Tescos option brought to us by the second Tesco that the town is “fortunate” enough to have. We always have tons of tomato ketchup on our fish and chips which is great because when mum and dad visit they don’t approve of tomato ketchup so we miss out. Aren’t we just big kids?

We spent the afternoon rambling about the nearby dams and watching the wildlife (swans, pewits, curlews, swifts) and trying to avoid the seagulls who make it their mission to pelt any hapless humans who come under their flightpath.

Then it was hometime. Having loaded up with sucky sweeties to accompany me I set off. My journey was slightly delayed by a tractor which appeared to be doing about 60mph in the field it was in, hurtling over just in time to pull out of the said field in front of my car where of course it slowed down to 10mph all the way home.

And there we must leave it. Holiday and day out over, it’s back to work tomorrow. Could be worse, at least it’s Friday.

23 comments:

Squirmy Popple said...

Why don't your parents approve to ketchup? It goes with chips so well - maybe a little too well...

Gwen said...

It certainly does but I think their concern is that the ketchup will come flying out of the bottle and land on someone. Maybe one of them has had a bad experience of flying ketchup. That would explain it.

Bright Ambassador said...

I once, accidentally, threw Daddies sauce all over my parents' dining room curtains.

Gwen said...

Oh Rich that's a sight I wish I'd seen. I bet Daddies was banned in your house after that.

muddyboots said...

oh, curry sauce & chips, but NOT mushy peas yuk!

Omega Mum said...

No terrorist links in your previous town? How lovely to have a grannie. I always felt cheated when the last of mine died when I was 13.

Gwen said...

Curry sauce and chips is pretty good Muddy Boots - a bit of a delicacy I think you will agree. Sadly I would have to admit that I am also rather partial to mushy peas as well. I have no shame.

Well Omega Mum, funnily enough I read in the local paper today that the hospital in that town is being investigated in connection with the terrorist plot so nowhere is safe. Hopefully it is not me that is the connection. I may well have to go into hiding if that is the case.

I'm sorry to hear that your last Grannie died when you were 13. Hopefully you have some good memories. I'm incredibly lucky to still have a Grannie who is reasonably fit at 93 but that is very unusual.

Gari said...

What about cheese? In my hometown most chippies, and indeed pubs, seem to sell a hell of a lot of Chips and Cheese. Of course this may explain why life expectancy is 12. At the age of 38 I'm considered a freak of nature.
Curry sauce and chips, fantastic! That's my lunch sorted.

Pepette said...

I'm a brown sauce girl myself. HP rules!

Gwen said...

Chips and Cheese sounds gorgeous Gari if not a bit heart attack inducing. I'm glad to have been able to have given you a tasty lunch recommendation. Enjoy your curry sauce and chips.

Brown sauce is pretty good too Pepette. I have been in some chippies (mainly on the east coast of Scotland) where they don't have tomoto ketchup so brown sauce is my preferred option in those circumstances.

The Good Woman said...

Like Omega Mum I envy your adult relationship with your Granny - sounds like a lovely day filled with familiarity and tradition.

Kolley Kibber said...

I must pitch a vote in favour of the much-maligned Mushy Pea.

The Good Woman said...

Hi Gwen. I've tagged you on a food tag thingy. No obligation, but I'd love some recommendations!

Valentine Suicide said...

Fish Chips an Mushy Peas for me Gwen. No sauce, just salt and vinegar.

Valentine Suicide said...

ooooh and can I have a pint of Speckled Hen, whilst you're at the bar...and can you tell em hurry up, I'm starved!

bethnoir said...

I'm a recent convert to mushy peas, my mum and dad don't mind tomato ketchup, but we only ever had sweetcorn and plum tomatoes out of a tin, so I ever experienced the joy of tinned peas until my husband asked for some and I found I liked them!

I had chips from my local chip shop for tea (with vegetarian frankfurters, they take 30 seconds to cook in the microwave and in many ways are an ideal fast food). Yummy! The man who runs it gave me a hug tonight, does this mean I go there too often, do you think?

Gwen said...

Where have I been for the last day?

Eating loads of cakes is the answer and more will be revealed shortly.

Hi Good Woman. Yes we had a lovely day. I get on famously with my grannie and find her good company. Sometime my mum who is her daughter in law might beg to differ though!

I will definitely do your tag, hopefully later on today. Cheers.

Hooray ISBW. Another fan of the common or garden mushy pea. I salute you.

VS - your virtual fish and chips with mushy peas and Speckled hen is winging its way to you as we speak. Enjoy. Of course it's now breakfast time but that never stopped some people I know from having a first thing in the morning chippie.

I assume you didn't eat the sweetcorn and plum tomatoes together Beth? That would have made rather an interesting taste experience.

You may want to seriously consider your regularly of visiting your local chippie in the light of the man's actions. He possibly has a crush on you. Or perhaps he just crushed you with his hug.

Graeme said...

That bookstore wasn't Voltaire and Rousseau, was it? That place is maybe the best bookstore I've ever been to.

Gwen said...

Hi Graeme. The bookstore was Westwords in Greenock. Is Voltaire and Rousseau in Glasgow? If so where, as I will need to try it out sometime.

Cheers

bethnoir said...

Well actually, my Mum had an experimental approach to cooking, so I believe we may have had those two together!

Gwen said...

Interesting combination there Beth. However I salute your mum for her willingness to experiment.

Graeme said...

Voltaire and Rousseau is on Otago Lane, which is just off Otago Street, in the West End. It sounds a lot like the bookstore you described, except they have a cat there instead of a dog and the guys who run it aren't paranoiacs. The place is in complete disarray with the shelves often stacked two deep (at one place in the shop they put a shelf in front of another shelf), more often than not in no particular order, and there are piles of books everywhere on the floor. There's also a room full of books going for a pound or less. There are all sorts of treasures in there, but you have to spend a long time searching through the piles to find them. I once found a 1952 leather bound Pleiade edition of St Exupery's collected works (it is only one volume, though later editions are two volumes) in near immaculate condition for something like two or three quid. It's very much worth a visit, but allow yourself plenty of time for browsing.

Gwen said...

That sounds like an excellent shop Graeme. I must visit it sometime. I wonder if all second hand bookshops are the same. It wouldn't surprise me.