Saturday, July 14, 2007

This Could be the Last Time

I left the office, where I have worked for the past 2 ½ years, for the last time yesterday. Around a month ago I had been advised that I had been made redundant. To be honest, it didn’t come as a great surprise as things have been difficult financially for some time. It was still a huge shock though and a few tears were shed. The company will probably be wound up over the next couple of months and it will be sad to see it go. We all had our hopes and dreams for the business which just could not be realised on the basis that we were paying out more money than we were taking in. You don’t have to be a student of economics to see that things are not going to work out under these circumstances.

Maybe I stayed too long. Whenever things were looking bad my boss would say “Don’t worry, it can only get better. Better times are just around the corner.” I really wanted to believe him and fell for the line a good many times but things seemed to get progressively worse with each proclamation of better times ahead.

Over the past month I have been involved in the winding up of the business which has been extremely hard. Somewhat harder was letting the other staff know. Fortunately though they have all been able to find alternative employment with a bit of help from my boss’ contacts. I have also been fortunate enough to find myself another job, leaving my boss to take the ship down on his own.

I had taken a few days off last week and I returned yesterday armed with cakes to say goodbye. The electricity, gas and water had been shut off in most of the building, the formerly busy rooms had been stripped bare and the remaining staff were huddled together in a small room with sagging floorboards which appeared to be on the verge of collapse.

As I was leaving my boss took a phone call and I waited until he had finished.

“Good News?”

“A client is talking about a new big job that is coming up. This could be what we’ve been waiting for. This could really turn it around for us”

I smiled encouragingly and closed the door.



22 comments:

Omega Mum said...

Did the b****** not offer you job back? We know all about it over here. Come over for a drink. What are you going to do next?

Kolley Kibber said...

Wow, big change, Gwen. Redundancy can seem like the end of the world, but it often forces you into action that you might otherwise not have taken. Take a deep breath and go for it!

Nunhead Mum of One said...

I know how you feel Gwen - I was made redundant about six years ago and had a boss very similar to yours who assured us "things will turn round soon and come good". they never did.

However.....because the boss made "sterling efforts in winding up the company" he received a huge windfall from some sort of insurance payout. Myself and friend Dan - who were actually left to wind up the business (we did everything, including helping the removal men with taking the furniture out to be sold on the junk shop at the end of the road) got diddly. Bitter? not any more.

The Good Woman said...

Sometimes best to take what you've learnt and move on. I hope the new job is terrific and good luck.

Gwen said...

To be honest Omega Mum I wouldn't take it back even if he offered it. The company doesn't have any more life left in it and I have another job to go to which is just as well. The situation did rather make me think about you and Francis. I've been very lucky to have found a new job mind you but it's been a tough time. Make mine a double and I'll be over right away.

That's true ISBW. Although it's been really difficult I think that being forced to leave and getting another job will turn out to be the best decision I could have made.

It's funny you should say that Nunhead Mum. The boss did say something about getting some money back when the company is wound up so I think that he will do rather well out of it. Isn't that just typical - those of us who do the dirty work never seem to do so well out of it. I think I'm less bitter about it because I have a new job to go to which I am hoping will be better than the one I am leaving.

Gwen said...

Thanks Good Woman. That sounds like excellent advice. It's always a bit nerve wracking going to a new job but I'm sure it will work out and will have been the right decision.

Valentine Suicide said...

I think change is great Gwen, and you strike me as someone who deals in positives, rather than negatives.

So onwards mate, new environment, new friends, new problems. Get stuck in and give 'em hell!

Gwen said...

Thanks Valentine for your kind words. I'm looking forward to it already. As for giving them hell - well yes I'm sure I probably will.

Omega Mum said...

Oh, well done. So you have a little bit of cash and a new job? Well organised that woman, if so.

Gwen said...

Well it seems now to have worked out for the best Omega Mum but it's still not something I would recommend to anyone.

muddyboots said...

just been doing catch up, good luck with new job!

Gwen said...

Thanks Muddy Boots. Much appreciated.

Gari said...

Best of luck with the new job. It'll be an adventure. I'm about to be made jobless in the next month, and although I've nothing lined up, I can't wait for the change to come. Have a great week. And remember, bananas are good.

Gwen said...

Thanks Gari. I'm sorry to hear that your job will be coming to an end. I hope you get something quickly and I'm glad that you have such a positive attitude about it. Change usually is for the best after all. I may take some bananas into my new job but here's hpoing that they don't stink the place out.

Anonymous said...

That is really sad. It's such a shame when things like this happen especially if you are happy in the job. I had a great job, brilliant pay and good work buddies back in early 90's and they were transferred to China! One or two decided to take the plunge and bugger off there, however, I don't like rice too much so I chose to stay.

Crystal xx

Unknown said...

It must've been very hard for you to walk away - I find that often it's the people rather than the job that you miss most when you leave. I really hope the new job works out for you.

Bright Ambassador said...

Best of luck in your new job.

Claire said...

good luck with your new job! can't wait to read all about it here :)

Gwen said...

Thanks Crystal. I'm not sure if I would have moved to China either.

I certainly will miss some of my colleagues Funky Munky. As you say it tends to be the people you miss most. The new crowd in my new job seem very friendly though.

Thanks Rich. Much appreciated.

Thanks Moosh. I won't be able to blog during work time in my new job (today is a holiday) but I will definitely keep you all informed as to the goings on.

Kelly Innes said...

Gwen- how sad. I keep meaning toget in touch about A Helping Hand. I just need to get rid of my mother first.

Squirmy Popple said...

Being made redunant worked out well for me - I hope you have similar luck with your new job. :)

Gwen said...

Thanks Kelly. Once you are freer I would still sppreciate your thought on setting up on your own. No rush though - just when you have a spare moment. I know what it's like to be run off your feet.

Thanks Katie. I'm sure that things will work out for the best.