Monday, March 19, 2007

The Noisettes

So there I was. My usual Friday evening, leaving work and bombing it down to Glasgow Central Station as fast as my little legs could carry me to get to the train for the start of my weekend - Hooray! I was perhaps about 20 minutes away from the station when I was approached by a young lady who was obviously somewhat lost. It turned out that her name was Shingai and she was in the band The Noisettes. Now I was pretty impressed because I had actually heard of this band. She had to be at the Arches by 5.30pm and it was now 5.45pm, so, with the future of her career in the band at stake (perhaps!) I offered to take her with me to Central Station which is not much more than a hop, skip and a jump from The Arches. She was a lovely girl and as we jogged sedately through the pouring rain she told me about their gig the night before in Manchester and we discussed the best recipies for a nice piece of trout (honestly, I'm not making this up!) We finally got to the Station and the poor girl was soaked through, but a good run through Glasgow and a full Scottish soaking had not put her off one bit. She was still extremely cheery and not at all worried that she would be half an hour late. It is lovely to meet someone who can remain so cheery in the face of the worst that Scottish weather can throw at them. I gave her directions from there to The Arches and wished her well both for herself and for her band. She thanked me and said that she had been to Glasgow before and always found it to be a very friendly city. I hope that I have further reinforced this view. I'm sure their gig went well on Friday night. I hope so and I will look out for their name in future.
Later I told a friend my story and he claimed never to have heard of them and said that she must have been having me on. But no! They have a website and I wish them all the best for the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Thats really nifty. You'll be on VH1 in the future telling your story *because you know they will be famous*

She must be doll in real life.

Gwen said...

Hi Que-Min. Thanks for visiting. She really was lovely. I'm not sure that I would want to appear on VH1 though.