Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Punk'd

Isn’t the English Language a wonderful, ever evolving thing? To illustrate this I’d like to share a new word I learned yesterday at my Monday Night Youth Group – Punk’d.

The context was as follows:-

The Group: Are we being Punk’d?

Me: Are you being what’d?

The Group: Punk’d.

Me: You’ll need to tell me what Punk’d means before I can tell you if you are or not.

The Group: You know, being played a trick on. (They snigger, realising that this silly adult doesn’t know the meaning of one of their words and consequently isn’t as with it as she would like them to believe she is).

The Group: Well are we being Punk’d?

Me: No you are definitely not being Punk’d.

The Group: Cool! (well at least that’s one word that hasn’t changed then.)

What I really wanted to know but was too afraid to ask for fear of further derision was how does Punk’d come to mean being played a trick on. Any enlightenment would be appreciated. When I were a lass Punk (without the ‘d) meant something entirely different. Admittedly it still does, allegedly, although the lyrics just aren’t the same nowadays. Anyway back to the point. Where does this term come from? Could it be from Johnny Rotten’s infamous words: "ever feel like you've been cheated?" Well I might not be Miss Cool, Hip and Down with the Kids but at least I know my music history.

10 comments:

Squirmy Popple said...

I believe it comes from the MTV show "Punk'd" where Ashton Kutcher and his buddies play tricks on unsuspecting celebrities. I'm not personally a big fan, but it's been pretty popular with the teenage crowd.

Gwen said...

Thanks Katie.

I had a feeling that I had seen the word somewhere before. I'm not sure that it would necessarity be my thing either but as you say its probably popular with teens. Maybe I could improve my credibility by mentioning it next week!

Anonymous said...

'Well I might not be Miss Cool, Hip and Down with the Kids but at least I know my music history.'

I think a knowledge of musical history is far cooler than knowledge of youth slang... 'The kids' wouldn't know their Art Garfunkel from their Emo...

Gwen said...

Swineshead

Why thank you kind sir. This has definitely made me feel much better :)

Valentine Suicide said...

Hey Gwen,

You asked me on clair's blog about AC?

Quote from the man himself..

"To avoid confusion, I think it's only proper of me to say that after two years of working Saturdays and Sundays, I wanted my weekends back. I have not been sacked! Last year I found myself working seven days a week far too often, due to other projects, particularly scriptwriting and my books, and nobody would wish that workload on me, I'm sure. I've loved doing my 6 Music shows, from Teatime to the Saturday show, but I want to be normal again and have Saturdays and Sundays back!

I hope this is not the last you will hear of me on 6 Music, and you have no idea how much your support means to me."

Gwen said...

Valentine Suicide

Thanks for clearing that up. Much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

not being from the punk era what does 'punk' mean anyway? kinda like 70's rave but that means to uncontrolled rant/shout

Gwen said...

I'm not really an expert rdal but I think it's about an attitude of rebellion against the establishment. I suppose there is a bit of shouting too - in a rebellious kind of way. Thanks for visiting.

Anonymous said...

I thought it might have something to do with funk which emerged around the time aswell, putting a 'p' at the start makes the word more aggresive to say, anyway the reason I came across this old post is because it came up in google looking for the meaning to 'these boots are made for walking' can you enlighten me? wise wordy one :)

Gwen said...

Morning RDAL. I think your query merits a post of its own, so please see today's post. I hope this helps and please do visit again.

Cheers

Gwen