Friday, March 30, 2007

The Tesco Clubcard Challenge

I had an interesting call from Tesco the other day. It seemed at first to be the usual marketing survey - "It's only a couple of questions". "It'll only take a couple of minutes". etc. etc. What I hadn't counted on was that this was more exacting than most.

Quiz Master: "OK so we'll begin with the first question. What can you spend your clubcards on other than store?"

Me: "Ah, Erm"

Quiz Master: "I'm going to have to hurry you. Not sure?

Me: "On the internet?"

Quiz Master: "Yes - I'll give you one point for that. The correct answer was on the Internet and in deals sent to you in the post. "

Quiz Master: "Right on to question number 2. How can you increase your clubcard points?"

Me: "Increase clubcard points? Erm, not sure really, sorry.

Quiz Master: "No problem, it's through clubcard and internet deals."

Quiz Master: "You're doing well, don't worry it's all still to play for. On to the next question. When did you last receive Clubcard Deals information?"

Me: "I'm sorry, I really don't have a clue."

Quiz Master: "That's OK, I'll note that down."

Quiz Master: "Now onto the final question. What clubcard deals have you used recently.

Me: "Oh err, none I think".

Quiz Master: "No problem. Thanks a lot for your time. You have just taken part in the Tesco Clubcard Challenge. Thank you and goodnight.

OK it might not have been exactly along these lines but you get the drift. Soon you will have to have a qualification in Tescos Knowledge in order to take a phone call from these people.

6 comments:

Squirmy Popple said...

So I guess you didn't win then. :)

Gwen said...

Katie

Sadly no. Makes me wonder what the "winner" might have got. A year's free shopping would have gone down rather well!

Darren Appanah said...

"Soon you will have to have a qualification in Tescos Knowledge in order to take a phone call from these people."

The company is so large that a 'Tesco University' is bound to happen at some point in the future. The pre-requisite would probably involve reading every word of the Clubcard handbook to ensure whom are true Tesco students.

Clair said...

I bloody HATE marketing calls like that. It's fun to lie to them - I told ICM last week that I was a 54-year-old consultant gynaecologist.

Gwen said...

Clair

What an excellent idea. I must try something similar the next time.

Gwen said...

Darren

It really wouldn't surprise me.